Research Interest (proposed graduate program relates to your career goals)

johnsnon 1 / 2  

Agricultural Economics field

My insight and understanding of agriculture originate from my youth. I was blessed to experience childhood in a rustic piece of Ghana, where the only work available was farming. My family have been farmers as far back as anyone can trace. I wish to study agriculture, not in light of my family but rather notwithstanding them. My dad and granddad are both persuaded the day of the farmer is no more, and have constantly endeavored to steer me into another field. I disagreed. I have constantly comprehended the significance of Agriculture to civilization. However, from that minute forward I understood exactly how much more important Agriculture would be in the future.

Learning is an endless process which is more closely related to the importance of developing human resources. Sam Farr the American Politician said, to make agriculture sustainable, the grower has got to be able to make a profit, but this is not the case with farmers in Ghana. Despite the number of acres, they cultivate, they still earn less income putting sustainability in jeopardy. My interest in this field developed during my final year at the Undergraduate level when I specialized in Agricultural Economics. In one of the courses I offered during my final year, called Agricultural Policy, I came to realize that, most of the problems facing our Agriculture sector in Ghana are as a result of low income been received by farmers and the issue of food security.

During my final year of study at the University, I undertook various courses such as Agricultural Marketing, Agricultural Co-operatives, Agricultural Policy, Agricultural Financing, Production Economics and Analysis, Accounting and many more related courses. These courses truly broadened my knowledge on the application of Economics in Agriculture and also equipped me with the needed knowledge to further my studies in Agricultural Economics. I also worked on a project which was to find consumers' Awareness, Perception and Willingness to pay for fish sausage in the Kumasi and Accra Metropolis of Ghana. I was a Research Study Assistant at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. I was responsible for helping students with thesis writing, data entry and analysis and also getting research materials online.

I am eager to work and do research in the field of Agricultural Economics. I have selected this program carefully after a lot of consideration regarding my interest for the program and the various opportunities that are available after specializing in this field. A master's degree in Agricultural Economics and then leading to a PhD is my ultimate goal. I have decided to dedicate myself to conduct research in the field of Agricultural Economics. This has always been my desire. The University of XXX has a well-deserved reputation for excellence in its advanced academic programs, especially in Agriculture and it is an important leader in the global economy. I believe the school will provide me with all the vital needed skills and knowledge in order to continue progressing to reach my potential.

I am prepared to accept the challenges that I may face during my graduate studies. I believe that my educational background, experiences and my will to succeed makes me a strong candidate for the master's program in Agricultural Economics at your university. I hope I would be given the opportunity to prove myself and realize my full potential in this field.

**Can you please help me with the definition for Research Statement, Research Interest and Statement of Purpose
Thank you.

Maria - / 1,102 389  
@johnsnon
Hi there! Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, my feedback will give you insight on how to improve your writing.

To answer your question first, a research statement often contains a thesis line that will give a brief insight on what you are trying to uncover in your writing. The research interest, depending on which context you are working from, typically contains an explanation on what your literal interests are (what field are you more inclined towards?) to give insight on what people can anticipate. Finally, the statement of purpose is sort of a guideline on the reasons why you are interest in these fields/topics in the first place (and experiences you have to back up these reasons).

The work itself that you have is alright. I do think, however, that you can still enhance the writing by focusing a lot more on being straightforward. For example, the first paragraph's content doesn't necessarily have a lot of impact on the overall flow of your writing. What I would suggest is focusing a lot more on the field itself. While it's great to give small anecdotes to give at least a sentence on why you have decided to pursue this path, it certainly doesn't mesh well when you're dedicating too long of a space to these sentiments, especially for academic and research-related topics.
OP johnsnon 1 / 2  
@Maria
My insight and understanding of agriculture originate from my youth. I was blessed to experience childhood in a rustic part of Ghana, where the only work available was farming. My family members have been farmers as far back as anyone can trace. I wish to study agriculture, not in light of my family but rather notwithstanding it.

According to SRID, agriculture contributes to 54 % of Ghana's GDP, and accounts for over 40 % of export earnings, while at the same time providing over 90 % of the food needs of the country. But Ghana's agriculture is predominantly smallholder with farmers earning little to no income for their produce. American Politician Sam Farr said, to make agriculture sustainable, the grower has to be able to make a profit, and this is not the case in my country, thereby placing sustainability in jeopardy. My interest in this field developed during my final year at the undergraduate level when I specialized in agricultural economics.

I undertook various courses such as Agricultural Marketing, Agricultural Cooperatives, Agricultural Policy, Agricultural Financing, Production Economics and Analysis, Accounting and many related courses. These courses truly broadened my knowledge of the application of economics in agriculture. After graduation, I had my one-year national assignment at XXX university - Department of Agricultural Economics, where I was a research study assistant. I was responsible for helping students with thesis writing, data entry, cleaning and analysis and also acquiring research materials online. Through my coursework and project experience, I have accrued skills in using STATA and SPSS. I am equally good in conducting ethical research projects.

For my graduate research project, I would like to look at the factors influencing the marketing of local rice in some communities in Ghana. Farmers in rice-growing areas always complain about their inability to get buyers for their produce anytime they cultivate them. They, therefore leave the paddy rice on their farms to become mouldy or get infested with pests. Farmers receive little or no income at the end of the production season which is currently deterring them and the youth who want to venture into that sector. This situation is putting self-sufficiency and sustainability in jeopardy. After analyzing all the parameters involved, I can present my contributions to help solve some problems involving local rice marketing in my country.

Attaining a master's degree in agricultural economics is my ultimate short-term goal. Gaining advanced experience in agricultural economics would make me a valuable asset to any institution that will require my services, especially in the field of agricultural marketing and production economics. I have selected this program carefully after considering my interest in the program and the various opportunities that are available after specializing in this field. If I decide to continue the research path, I would be interested in a PhD program.

The University of XXX has a well-deserved reputation for excellence in its advanced academic programs, especially in agriculture, and it is an essential leader in the global economy. I believe the school will provide me with all the vital skills and knowledge needed to continue progressing toward my full potential. I am prepared to accept the challenges that I may face during my graduate studies. I believe that my educational background, experiences, and my will to succeed make me a strong candidate for the master's program in agricultural economics at your university. Canada is very appealing to me. With my interest in Canadian agriculture and economy, I hope you will give my application the maximum consideration
Maria - / 1,102 389  
@johnsnon
The introduction is a bit better on this particular version. I like how you were able to shorten the content without necessarily sacrificing the content. This is great overall for the text you have provided. However, be extra cautious of the tenses of your words. For instance, that first sentence should have been originated instead of its current present tense simply because this event has already passed.

The second paragraph is a bit confusing in its placement. I think it would be better appreciated if you switched the second and the third paragraph because it seems a bit off. If you're planning to provide a comprehensive information on the state of the farming industry in your country, you could have opted to expound it after mentioning what your direct correlation/experience is with the field. While the statistics you have provided were generally alright, I didn't quite notice how it meshed and blended well with any of the content elsewhere, considering that it was too focused on the country (rather than on your actual application).

The last paragraph you had can still be improved in terms of the phrasing and packaging of information. Notably, this part of your essay seems to be lacking in terms of being compartmentalized properly. I can tell that the first two sentences in this paragraph should have been divided into three or four others, considering the length of the overall text. Merely mentioning by the end that the country is "appealing" to you doesn't necessarily add anything in-depth to the text; rather than adding this, focus solely on the university itself and its credentials in the field as this is more relevant to your application than the country that you're choosing.
OP johnsnon 1 / 2  
@Maria
Thank you alot. Please check this one out

My insight and understanding of agriculture originated from my youth. I was blessed to experience childhood in a rustic part of Ghana, where the only work available was farming. My family members have been farmers as far back as anyone can trace. I wish to study agriculture, not in light of my family but rather notwithstanding it.

Agricultural Economics is a field specially suited to apply economic principles to solve most problems in agriculture. During my final year in my Undergraduate study, I undertook various courses such as Agricultural Marketing, Agricultural Cooperatives, Agricultural Policy, Agricultural Financing, Production Economics and Analysis, Accounting and many related courses. These courses truly broadened my knowledge of the application of economics in agriculture. After graduation, I had my one-year national assignment at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology - Department of Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness and Extension, where I was a research study assistant. I was responsible for helping students with thesis writing, data entry, cleaning and analysis and also acquiring research materials online. Through my coursework and project experience, I have accrued skills in using STATA and SPSS. I am equally good in conducting ethical research projects.

For my graduate research project, I would like to look at the factors influencing the marketing of local rice in some communities in Ghana. Farmers in rice-growing areas always complain about their inability to get buyers for their produce anytime they cultivate them. They, therefore leave the paddy rice on their farms to become mouldy or get infested with pests. Farmers receive little or no income at the end of the production season, which is currently deterring them and the youth who want to venture into that sector. This situation is putting self-sufficiency and sustainability in jeopardy. After analyzing all the parameters involved, I can present my contributions to help solve some problems involving local rice marketing in my country.

Attaining a master's degree in agricultural economics is my ultimate short-term goal. Gaining advanced experience in agricultural economics would make me a valuable asset to any institution that will require my services, especially in the field of agricultural marketing and production economics. I have selected this program carefully after considering my interest and the various opportunities available after specializing in this field. If I decide to continue the research path, I would be interested in a PhD program.

The University of Alberta is an ideal location for my master's degree study because the school has a well-deserved reputation for excellence especially in agriculture. My own research into your University programs have confirmed your strengths in agriculture and how research conducted are used to solve problems that are pertinent in the Canadian agriculture sector. With my interest in Canadian agriculture and the quality of your University programs, I hope you will give my application the maximum consideration.
Maria - / 1,102 389  
@johnsnon
This one appears to be better than the previous ones. It's more comprehensive, elaborate, and yet does not miss out on the critical details that evaluators are typically on the lookout for when it comes to application materials.

Allow me to revise a few things from the second paragraph:
... is a field specially suited to apply that applies economic ... most problems in agriculture pressing agricultural concerns. During my the final year in my of my Undergraduate study, I undertook had taken various courses ..., and Accounting and many related courses. These courses truly broadened ...

Notice how you can make better changes in your material if you omit excessive words. Try your best to maintain this level of writing throughout your essay, especially since this is how you will be able to streamline the rest of your writing.

Be cautious as well of the lack of placement of punctuation marks throughout. For instance, watch for this portion of the third paragraph: . They, therefore, leave the paddy ... to become until it becomes mouldy or get and infested with pests

After mentioning that you will be interested in pursuing a PhD program, try to expand onward from there. It's a bit baffling and still lacking to just merely put it out there without having back-up information of what it pertains to.

Try to implement these small (more technical) changes throughout your writing. Content-wise, you're getting there already. Good luck.

Home / Graduate / Research Interest (proposed graduate program relates to your career goals)