This is my SOP for Environmental Engineering at Hamburg

arvandkaveh 1 / -  
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Arvand Kaveh

Nothing is more illustrative than a real-life experience; I have deep interest in mountain climbing and hiking, my second attempt was with a group of four young friends, determined to traverse a four-walking-days route in a mountain climate area in north of Iran. Packed with all the essential requirements, we were ready to resuming the journey onward. From a towing path at the end of a village to the unknown destination that was just marked on our map, employing guidance only through a magnetic compass. Inevitably, there was a lot to be managed and decided-which way to follow, planning revitalizing break times, estimating the conditional optimum walking pace, locating opportune place for camping, managing food and drink consumption and etc. And when we reached our destination, I knew it was just another step taken, after and thanks to my previous experience. Even though; regarding the above mentioned pattern of acts, as a similitude, to a real scientific-based and goal-oriented candidate, would seem as a little exaggerated model, but it is obvious that they ought to share some essential and identical traits-Curiosity, acting with penchant, committedness in approach, increasing managing skills, crucial thinking ability and etc.

I grew up in a well-educated family, my father is a Structural Engineer, and the prototype of a son fascinated by his father's work and my interest in mathematics and physics resulted to considering Engineering for my future career. After applying some serious inquiries from professionals and engineers that I knew, I managed to perceive a general notion of each specific field, which awarded me with enough data to put the matter into a mature contemplation and I chose the broad field of Civil engineering.

I believe the world's most crucial problems are those involve with environment. Crises, on global scale to very domestic ones, always came by a strong solicitude. In three years of working in ... I became more aware of the issue, where in my home country, Environmental infrastructures are not well established due to deficiency in professional environmentalists and related regulations, and as a result of inefficient management and policies we have faced many problems, that its detrimental effects are not only limited on ecosystems and our environment; there is also almost irremediable social-mental and economical damages. The fact is that this branch of science and engineering is not old and needs to be developed more seriously. Even now the worlds demand is beyond its supply, and with the constantly growing population, followed by its consequential increase in pollution and need, and with phenomena such as global warming, the necessity of specializing in this field is conspicuous. Return to environment may be a partial or the only solution to future's dilemmas. If man seeks for solutions, we will need to pay more attention to sustainability of them.

The undergraduate curriculum in Civil Engineering, introduced me to a wide gamut of subjects. Taking part in various courses like "Fluid Mechanics," and "Soil Mechanics," drew me a whole new engrossing image of how elements like soil and water are separately, subjected to the laws of physics and mathematics. "Hydraulics," explained how applying our knowledge to control and manage water motions is useful for us. Furthermore, in "Hydrology", I interestedly worked on assessing hydrological cycle of a mountain area and gave a presentation in classroom on how RS/GIS analysis can show where water enters a system and how it leaves through evapotranspiration and runoff. Eventually, supplementary concepts of "Environmental Engineering" with addition to empirical observations in laboratory provided me with a strong foundation in the theoretical and practical concepts of Environmental Engineering.

During my years as an undergraduate, I developed my interest in water related courses and with the innate feeling of responsibility towards nature and environment; I decided to pursue my education in Environmental engineering. Just like hiking, I have marked my next destination and am ready to embrace the challenges.

My ultimate goal is to go further and further, to which point that my accomplishments remain even after my death. And to do so I need to acquire more in-depth knowledge in Environmental Engineering, delve into the principles of the fields through inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary to where I can acquire, with the help of your various research institutes and well-equipped facilities, enough knowledge to choose and conduct a research that ensures my eligibility of PhD studies and to continue my career in academic fields, in places like Universities where I find it the most secure place to work and research and even teaching. I have lived one year in Germany and passed my fourth grade in a German school in Hannover; I have a good feedback of German language and am familiar with your cultures. Other than financial merits and being socially beneficence, your programme will fulfill my very inner personal demands-trying to mitigate and, even, compensate the damages we caused on mother earth through achieving efficient scientific remedies.

A great Iranian Poem says that Excuses are for those who failed to grab the moment, but sometimes life exposes its cruel side. The Year of my Pre-University and the first two years of my university education was coincided with some grave afflictions in my life which had a negative effect on my grades and education, but I never gave up, I knew I need to proceed so I kept my pace steady and picked up myself until I could obtain an above 16/20 GPA in my main courses. For the poor GRE score; I lost my National Card (ID) just before the exam, just imagine the pack of stress that rushed through me, and the worst for me, the ID checker came to me right when I was started to answer the first Quantitative tests, it took me more than three minutes to describe it and convince him of my problem. My score was far below my own expectation and I can make a new test if you require. All in all I am most determined to reach the zenith of an academic career and become a prominent researcher.
You have a run on sentence here... do not hesitate to end a sentence with a period and start a new one:
Nothing is more illustrative than a real-life experience. I have deep interest in mountain climbing and hiking. My second attempt was with a group of four young friends, determined to ...

Also, after that first sentence I think you should add a few more sentences to explain the 'moral of the story' so the reader can appreciate your theme. Then, after you express the theme of the essay you should START A NEW PARAGRAPH before writing, "I have a deep interest in..."

...acting with penchant, committedness commitment in approach, increasing managing skills, crucial critical thinking ability, and so forth.

Here is another run on sentence:
I grew up in a well-educated family, my father is a Structural Engineer, and the prototype of a son fascinated by his father's work and my interest in mathematics and physics resulted in my considering Engineering for my future career. ---Do you see where a period is necessary? End the sentence after the word "family."

...those involving environment.

Do not capitalize unnecessarily: The Year year of my pre-university and the first ...

:-)

Home / Graduate / This is my SOP for Environmental Engineering at Hamburg