STATEMENT OF PURPOSE for EPFL Management, Technology, and Entrepreneurship

netkeojas 1 / -  
HI,

I plan to apply for the MSc Management, Technology, and Entrepreneurship (MTE) program at EPFL. I seek Criticism, feedback, and advice for my SOP.

Here is how EPFL describes SOP: "The statement of purpose should not exceed 1000 words. You are required to describe your academic background and your career strategy. Please be precise about the objectives you wish to reach through your studies at EPFL."

I am writing to express my strong interest in the MSc Management, Technology, and Entrepreneurship (MTE) program at EPFL. My aim is to complement my technical background with management and economics to address healthcare challenges, such as improving patient care and advancing medical technology. The program's unique integration of these disciplines will enable me to leverage technology for impactful solutions through EPFL's multidisciplinary education.

In my undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering I crafted a solid foundation with subjects like Internet of Things, Business Intelligence, Data Analytics, and Artificial Intelligence. I applied the technologies I learned and developed a mobile application for visually impaired individuals. This project positively impacted the visually impaired community by making audio news and books easily accessible to nearly 1000 users. I learned how visually impaired individuals interact with mobile technology, emphasising the importance of adapting technology to meet end-user needs through focused, user-centred design. The MTE program's courses, such as 'Data Science for Business,' 'Fundamentals of Machine Learning,' and 'Statistics for Data Science,' will enhance my expertise and enable me to apply it to projects that benefit society, while keeping pace with technological advancements.

My role as a software developer at XYZ_Company aligns with my commitment to patient-centred healthcare technology innovations. My promotion from Software Engineer I to II reflects my leadership and project management skills. At XYZ_Company., I deepened my expertise in business operations, product lifecycle, and organisational dynamics, gaining insights into healthcare and identifying opportunities for innovation. At EPFL, I aim to further this knowledge through the Mentoring Program, connecting with medtech industry mentors. The 'Applied Corporate Industry Analysis' course at EPFL will enhance my learning, providing insights into industry trends and allowing me to share my expertise in medtech supply chain solutions.

While working as a software developer, I also wanted to explore entrepreneurial opportunities in the tech industry. I digitalized a manual Kaizen system for a manufacturing company 'ABC'. Although the project was successful, the primary challenge I encountered was developing a mutually beneficial business model. I realised that my limited knowledge in economics and finance was a significant barrier. To address this, I sought insights from industry experts and engaged in case studies to enhance my understanding of economic model development. However, I recognize the need for a deeper grasp of these areas, which is why the MTE program at EPFL is particularly appealing to me. The program's courses, such as 'Accounting for Finance,' 'Introduction to Econometrics,' and 'Principles of Finance,' are precisely what I need to solidify my foundation in economics and finance while maintaining a focus on business.

I am particularly captivated by Professor Marc Gruber's research on 'Entrepreneurial Opportunities and Threats in the Era of Grand Societal Challenges,' especially the study on helpfulETH's response to the Covid-19 pandemic. The insights into project terminations and their impact on team emotions are invaluable. I am eager to attend his classes on Entrepreneurship & New Venture Strategy and pursue projects under his guidance that align with my goal of creating impactful healthcare ventures. Additionally, the opportunity to undertake a 6-month master project in industry is an ideal platform to apply my learnings and smoothly transition into the professional world. Having already worked in a professional environment, I believe I can bring value to the companies where I undertake the internship.

While my experiences have provided a solid foundation, I believe that pursuing a specialised graduate program like MTE is crucial for enhancing my knowledge. This pursuit will also allow me to continue my passion for theatre and mountain sports through student associations like PET and Club Montagne while expanding my network through the Entrepreneur Club. EPFL's active campus life and prime location offer opportunities for personal growth and access to major organisations, invaluable as I apply my knowledge in product management or consulting roles within tech companies, and eventually in founding my own ventures. I am excited to contribute to and grow within EPFL's diverse culture, both professionally and personally.
This project positively impacted the visually impaired community by making audio news and books easily accessible to nearly 1000 users.

Based upon what evidence? What you make claims like these, you must back it up with numerical data to prove that you actually provided the claim you are making. What is the actual reach? Across what market or age group?

My promotion from Software Engineer I to II reflects my leadership and project management skills.

What prompted your promotions? What sort of leadership and management skills were highlighted each time that led to your fast promotions?

Although the project was successful,

Infer this at the end of the paragraph. Not in the middle. The highlight here should be the problems you encountered that led you to seek advanced studies.

the opportunity to undertake a 6-month master project

What sort of project might you do during this 6 month period?

The rest of the essay is acceptable. The parts I mentioned here are what I believe requires more development to create a stronger paper.

Home / Graduate / STATEMENT OF PURPOSE for EPFL Management, Technology, and Entrepreneurship