Personal Statement - MSc Offshore Engineering - Newcastle University

OffshoreEng 1 / -  
To esteemed professors and to the admission department:
Primarily Offshore Engineering MSc matches exactly what I want to study and to carry on in my future profession, indeed I have applied only for this course.

Surely Newcastle University will be really a personal challenge, one challenge among several challenges to face in the future, literally a personal growth.
I have on my shoulders a technical path since my years passed into High School in view of marked scientific skills in Mathematics and Physics. I have obtained a fifth and eighth position out of the 120 best students in my school at Mathematics Olympics for two successive years. I was able to achieve my high school's diploma with a mark of 92 out of 100 (specialization in Mechanics). During summers I was used to work as Draughtsman for an Architect where I have learned about Building Sector (excellent ability in ArchiCAD, CAD modelling). I had a wide path studying before Building Engineering and subsequently Civil Engineering. It has been a non-standard hard path for several reasons, but it has given me strong basic in each its branch; an old-school training typically Italian. Coherently on what has been written problem solving, communication skills, hardworking and co-operation were definitely a must. Therefore whatever my skills will be applied to make the best during my studies at Newcastle University, one of the best universities in the world. Having achieved a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering my aim was/is focused on Structural field and aspects. Surely my favorite subjects during my Bachelor's Degree have been Mechanics of Solids where I got full mark too, Science of Materials, Structural Engineering and Mechanics of Soils. Regarding my further studies a major attention goes surely to Structural Vibrations of Offshore Structures, Steel Offshore Structures, Computation Mechanics & Finite Elements Analysis.

Coupling structural engineering to Hydrodynamics, such as Fluid-Structure interaction and its modelling (Computational Fluid Dynamics), Wave theory, Subsea Systems and Pipelines will give me the best knowledge in Structural engineering. I have had a sturdy training of Hydraulics during my studies, in fact my thesis has been developed on Hydraulics Works.

I think this MSc could project me into heavy industry. Future inclinations after this master's Degree are: seeking surely a position into the biggest Oil&Gas companies (BG Group, Atkins Group, Aker Solutions) working in a dynamics environment with people who are focused getting the best results or otherwise pursuing a PhD qualification, because I like the research too.

In concordance to future prospects, Energy field will be in constant expanding. I want to couple this my passion for Structural Engineering with Renewable Energy and Oil&Gas field. Being also an autodidact I have already read a part of Handbook of Offshore Engineering, and reviewing Fluid Dynamics concepts. Practically the idea of studying Offshore Engineering has born in this way, and now I am awfully fond for it.

Yours Sincerely,
Cucumazzo Vincenzo

Kindly if someone can take a look at my Personal Statement, thanks. Any suggestion is welcome :)
You are not writing a formal speech for addressing the committee members nor are you writing a formal letter. Just write this personal statement as you would any other essay. It does not require a formal letter format. You are offering information in the essay that pertains to your academic background that the admissions officers can find out for themselves on a more valid level by studying the transcript of records and other academic documents that you submitted with your common apps. So this essay that you wrote is not particularly helpful to your cause. The best thing for you to do at this point is to delete this current essay and go back to the drawing board. Draft a new essay that is more geared towards portraying the development of your interest in Offshore Engineering and how you have some questions or ideas about how to further improve the technology in the future. Imply that the only way you can address these topics is by pursuing and advanced degree in the field. That is the kind of information that a personal statement should contain. Do not get it mixed up with a statement of purpose. That is a different essay altogether. The information you provided is only a summary of the documents you submitted, which does not serve the purpose of a personal statement. So you need to come up with a new essay that better addresses the prompt requirements.

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement - MSc Offshore Engineering - Newcastle University