STATEMENT OF PURPOSE - PARSONS NEW SCHOOL - MFA Fashion Design and Society

RIA0512 1 / -  
Please outline your reasons for applying to this program. In what ways will you contribute to the subject matter of the program? You should include a thoughtful description of your background, tentative plan of study or area of inquiry in the field as you now envision it, your professional goals, and an explanation of how this graduate program will help you realize those goals. If you have not been enrolled as a student in the past five years, please address anticipated opportunities and challenges in pursuing the degree and future career expectations upon completion of the program. (500-750 word limit)*

Constantly pushing the boundaries of design, Parsons stands apart from other art and design schools. My desire to pursue Fashion Design as my area of study originated from my ambition to obtain a Bachelor's in Fashion Design and forge a path in the industry. I aim to surpass my existing knowledge, acquiring a diverse skill set to become an asset in the art world, nurturing practical and theoretical skills in art and design history.

In my pursuit to uphold The New School's values, I acknowledge the pivotal role of sustainability in addressing the industry's response to the escalating climate crisis, highlighted by the surge in extreme weather events in 2023. Fashion, constituting between 3% and 8% of total greenhouse gas emissions, ranks as the second most polluting industry globally. I firmly believe that "good design" embodies integrity and ethical production. An industry-wide mindset shift is essential to recognize that maintaining the status quo is no longer viable and that climate risk demands immediate attention.

Enrolling in Parsons signifies my commitment to navigating the evolving global economic landscape projected for 2024. Amidst fragmented markets and mounting challenges in the US, Europe, and China, I aspire to leverage this education to become an agent of change.

Before adopting any practice, it's essential to embrace the philosophy of the institution, in this case, The New School. Its ethos challenges the conventional. I share this philosophy, acknowledging that conforming to norms restricts potential for innovation. Despite familial and societal pressures dictating predetermined career paths, my curiosity and creativity led me on a different trajectory. Initially directed towards engineering due to my affinity for mathematics, I realized it wasn't my passion. The New School Parsons stands out due to its visionary approach to the future of art and design. I appreciate The New School's commitment to reshaping mindsets, fostering open-mindedness in education. The institution encourages critical analysis of the world, pushing boundaries for improvement.

Challenging the status quo aligns with both The New School's philosophy and my ethos. My thirst for knowledge drives me to explore diverse subjects, from fact-based movies and docuseries to historical narratives, meticulously cataloguing discoveries in a notebook. Designing fascinates me, especially researching themes' historical contexts and converting them into design elements. For instance, my collection "Trapped" (inspired by sleep paralysis) involved studying Bacon's works and others' experiences with it. My inclination towards collecting first-hand data is reflected in my graduation project, where I interviewed family and friends from previous postings.

Studying at a college that shares my values and fosters a community of thinkers encourages collaboration. I visualize collaborating with peers at The New School to design and experiment, pushing boundaries and exploring possibilities beyond imagination. My creative odyssey, driven by an insatiable thirst for knowledge and a dream to redefine storytelling in fashion, converges at Parsons. Here, I seek not just education but a transformative experience that solidifies my artistic voice, propelling me towards a future where design and visual narratives resonate harmoniously.

My creative journey started in childhood, observing my father's sketches after his Air Force shifts and finding solace in painting during illness. Constantly relocating as a military child fostered my love for painting, crafts, and creating amidst changing environments. This sanctuary remained my constant in a transient world.

Today, I stand with a hunger for knowledge, a penchant for storytelling through various mediums, and an unwavering commitment to Parsons. The prospect of expressing narratives through photography resonates with my desire to communicate creatively. I aim to leverage photography in this program to articulate diverse perspectives and societal themes, merging my passion for creativity, evolving identity, and transient experiences into designs that transcend boundaries and resonate with societal consciousness.

Post-graduation, I aim to infuse resilience into the fashion industry by collaborating on strategic contingency planning and sustainability initiatives. I aspire to create designs that captivate aesthetically while intelligently adapting to market demands, envisioning a more responsive and sustainable future for fashion. I aim to craft timeless fashion pieces, not merely garments, crafting wearable sculptural fashion from scratch, each piece with its unique story.
Your background as it relates to your desire to complete this program is not well developed in this presentation. It is too hypothetical and general in discussion. You need to touch base with reality in this presentation. Making sure that you clearly respond to the required prompt discussion points. Your background in fashion must be more specific with accomplishments and participations spelled out. You will be up against seasoned professionals in the eyes of the admissions committee so knowing how to highlight your specific strengths and experiences are definite musts. You are too vague at the moment. I do not feel any strengths in your statement of purpose. Your purpose can be better developed and clarified throughout.

Home / Graduate / STATEMENT OF PURPOSE - PARSONS NEW SCHOOL - MFA Fashion Design and Society