Statement of Purpose - Parsons The New School - Strategic Design and Management - MS

SanketA 1 / -  

Statement of Purpose

My fascination grew towards the modular furniture industry in the early stages of my career. Since the 2nd term in B. Design, I have worked in the industry as a professional modular kitchen and wardrobe designer and salesperson. My curiosity and passion towards this field have always led me to develop new concepts.

M. Design opened my perspective towards research-based design. During the last semester of my Masters in 2021, I opted to work in the industry again and practice my freshly learned skillset in a more professional approach. Apart from my daily objectives and dealing with clients as a senior designer, I thoroughly researched, planned, designed and executed a premium modular furniture experience centre along with my colleagues and directors. The project witnessed some astonishing features and innovative concepts which were likely appreciated in the local market after execution and then I realised the importance and benefits of research-based designing. I also created a 116-page documentation of the same project which was presented as my final thesis project for the degree. We, as a team always had this exciting feeling to create, innovate and give something new to the modular furniture industry. Along the way, I picked up a lot of insights from my clients and directors and also my personal observations stating the introduction of arts in the kitchen space and its importance.

I also studied, 'Crafts in Interior Architecture' during my M. Design. It was one of my most acknowledged subjects and I was genuinely curious to explore it. This course cast upon me a light of knowledge about the Indian handicraft industry and a project report was prepared to discuss the conceptual development of any selected craft. I studied that there are many indigenous and tribal crafts communities in India and the rest of the world who required support to face the adverse effects of the pandemic, industrialization and technology-driven markets today. Although, we only prepared a design concept and a report for the course requirements so we couldn't cast any further support to the handicraft sector. The idea of not actually helping the sector struck hard and made a stepping stone for the topic to brainstorm about.

Soon, both the passionate urges; innovation in modular furniture and the uplifting of any handicraft sector, began their fusion in my mind and came up to create a bright and creative business concept. All this happened inside my thoughts and imagination at first. I later started researching the topics and creating a record of the findings. I observed that there are various fashion designers and kitchen manufacturers out there who are experimenting and collaborating to create stunning kitchen design ideas. Dolce & Gabbana X Smeg, Valcucine & Gucci are a few examples. I made up my purpose strong and decided upon my contribution to the industry. The main aim of this project is to amalgamate Indigenous craft practice - with luxury modular furniture - under a fashion brand value. I believe I have the passion and confidence to take this idea to a business level. I can design a strategy to generate a line of hand-crafted products and market them into the premium modular furniture segment without losing their cultural ethnicity and value.

I realised that this project holds the potential to be a business start-up whilst creating support and funding for craft communities, creating new trade and adding up a contribution to the economy, satisfying university requirements for research and contributing to the luxury modular interior design industry altogether.

Although, I require a professional approach to create a bridge between 3 different industries. Strategic Design and Management at The New School is perfectly sound to suit my purpose to strategically carve out a global innovation and support a social challenge and help me build this entrepreneurship altogether. I discovered more about the course details only to find the cherry on my cheesecake!

Rhea Alexander, Assistant Professor and faculty of Strategic Design and Management has more than 25 years of experience working with NGOs, SMEs and artisans across 16 countries to help develop and curate to bring a transition in designs. Her research interests suggest that she could be the perfect mentor for my research and start-up goals. Services like ELAB and real-world relevance feature another step toward my success. Being at Parsons - The New School will be like a blessed opportunity to develop this idea into a global business along with support and funding opportunities provided for graduate research and successfully blooming in the heart of NYC.
The essay is too heavy in terms of your academic biography and research experience. That disqualifies the first half of this essay from being a true statement of purpose. What you focused on should have actually just been mere mentions to help indicate a related academic and experience background. It does not qualify as an integral and considerable part of the purpose. The revised version of this essay should better highlight the later part. The idea for your business and how that idea came to be. That is the true purpose for your higher study. To further yourself as a budding entrepreneur and furniture designer.

Develop paragraphs 4,5, and 6 as the actual statement of purpose. Expand on these interests and career goals as being related to your college background and experiences. Avoid going into another memoir type of presentation for those parts. Just mention these in summary form as they connect with your purpose. Integrate, do not separate.

The reasons you choose to attend Parsons should not be summarized in a manner that makes it look like you just cut and paste it from the internet sites. There also needs to be specific academic and personal purposes for these choices. By these choices I mean the masters course, the university, and the learning experience. These are the information the screeners will consider in addition to your personal reasons for wishing to attend their university. You can begin this discussion development after the current paragraph 6. It would make for a more solid explanation overall.

Home / Graduate / Statement of Purpose - Parsons The New School - Strategic Design and Management - MS