Supporting Statement for admission to the University of Sheffield at Master of Arts

ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Please type in or upload a statement in support of your application (min. 300 words).

Among the things you may wish to include are:

- why you are applying for this course
- how your previous education and experience relates to this course of study
- how this course fits into your long-term academic or career plans

Enrolling in Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics with TESOL embodies my professional enhancement as a lecturer's assistant at a tertiary education level and as an instructor at a private institution in Indonesia. My specific interest in pursuing to study at Master degree in Applied Linguistics with TESOL, however, is to extend my understanding and expertise in English language teaching. I am also interested in studying at the University of Sheffield because of its reputation in leading minds in the world, creating outstanding graduates and empowering international students to be able to pursue their future careers.

In connection with the reason why I choose to study in the UK rather than in my home country, because there will be more possibilities for me to enlarge my English language skills, i.e. considering that I am now still holding a position as an English Teacher/ Tutor. Thus, the condition is obviously depicted as invaluable and worth trying.

After completing my postgraduate study at the University of Sheffield, in fact upon the university offered me the chance as one of university's valuable students, I intend to devote myself as a permanent lecturer at the institution where I am currently employed. Dealing with the policy which Indonesian Department of Higher Education specify e.g. academic practice, community service, and research, firstly, I intend to facilitate the students' needs, especially in the academic practice more collaboratively in their major field of study (English Language Education Program). Secondly, I will expand my non-profit community service program that I have done so far by encouraging the usage of bilingual (English-Indonesian) for non-English subject lecturers in University of Muhammadiyah Jember regarding to the future needs of globalisation. Lastly, I am going to get involved in developing research for anything concerns to my academic expertise.

In sum, I am looking forwards to being successfully admitted to study with the University of Sheffield at Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics with TESOL for the sake of my personal as well as my professional development.
bonboncase 20 / 45 15  
Hi, I think your essay is quite well writen. I have one personal opinion that I would like to share with you here.

firstly, I intend to facilitate the students' needs[...]
Lastly, I am going to get involved in developing research for anything concerns to my academic expertise.

I think this part you mostly discussed your career plans, but not how this course will help your career. So I think you should probably revise it by how this course will benefit your career.
Mochtar, there is a part of the prompt that you failed to discuss in your essay, which is why the written work you currently have is shorter and less informative than it should be. Please make sure to delete your current second paragraph, as it does not apply to any of the prompt questions, and instead, respond to the following question:

Make sure that you offer one paragraph for your previous education. Then a separate paragraph for any internship experience that you might have had during your education. Finally, write a highlight paragraph that will totally discuss and enhance your image as a professional in the field for whom this MA is a logical next step. You don't really need that one line conclusion that you wrote at the moment. Maybe you can build upon it after the improvements are made to the essay to make it useful. At the moment though, I suggest you just delete that part. It is not the correct conclusion for this type of essay.

Home / Graduate / Supporting Statement for admission to the University of Sheffield at Master of Arts