Univ. of Miami -- Communication PhD Essay

dh593 1 / 1  
NOTE: The only instructions for this essay were to "tell us about your goals and objectives in pursuing a graduate degree." Very open-ended. I welcome all constructive feedback.

My desire to pursue a Ph.D. in Communication came as quite a surprise. After I graduated from the University of Miami in 2004 with a Master's Degree in Film Studies, I was done with school. I loved movies, and knew I wanted to be a film critic. I was happy. Life was good.

But soon, something was missing. I was enjoying watching movies and writing, but started to feel unfulfilled. It wasn't until a press day (part of a film critic's job is interviewing celebrities as they're promoting their latest work) with a major star that I figured things out. As a hobby, I read a lot about body language and interpersonal/non-verbal communication. During the interview I noticed the star using multiple signs of deception - covering his mouth, rubbing his eye and looking away, scratching/touching the back of his neck - that were not in accordance with the high platitudes with which he was discussing the film. He was lying. I knew it. What's more, I loved knowing it, and wanted to know it more often.

This observation motivated me to learn more about non-verbal communication and how valuable it can be to those who understand it. In many ways, it has become a new passion for me. So my motivation in wanting a Ph.D. in Communication - and the real reason the University of Miami is the right place for me - is because I will be able to combine my two passions (non-verbal communication and film) into a singular effort. In addition to the core courses, my Communication electives would be in Film Studies. For the required courses outside the School of Communication, I would look to the Psychology department's Health Division in the College of Arts and Sciences, where I would study Behavioral Science. I would also ask faculty members from there to serve on my examination and dissertation committees.

My proposed course of study offers a great wealth of educational possibilities, with one being a close look at interpersonal communication in documentaries in an attempt to unveil hidden truths. Specifically, I'm interested in body language and analyzing the facial expressions, mannerisms and other gestures of supposedly truthful individuals. Obviously the mere detection of deception in no way confirms that an individual is lying, but it may question the veracity of heretofore authoritative sources and could, if done effectively, raise or re-raise questions to issues that were previously considered closed.

For example, the documentary "Raw Deal: A Question of Consent" examines an alleged rape during a fraternity party at the University of Florida. Filmmaker (and UM graduate) Billy Corben uses footage shot by frat brothers the night of the incident and accounts of the individuals involved to examine if the sexual act was rape, consensual sex, or both. My study would closely examine the interviewees for signs of deception and hopefully lend insight into whose account of the incident is most accurate.

What's more, I believe a close look at a number of documentaries would be a great dissertation topic. The project would also factor in the role of the voyeur, aspects of Cinema Verite, camera angles, framing, and how much the presence of the camera influences what is said and done. Given that I've always had a positive working relationship with him, I'd like to work on this project with Dr. William Rothman, whose extensive research and writing on documentary films has been and still is a great influence on my studies.

While my initial goal with a Ph.D. is to obtain a full-time tenure-track teaching position, my real interest in the field goes much further. After graduation I would like to keep examining the correlation between film (and all forms of visual) studies and subconscious communication. I think there are a number subconscious "tells" that frequently occur on television, in artwork and other forms of visual communication that have a great impact on the work's effectiveness and meaning. I find the way these characteristics affect viewers on a subconscious level fascinating, and look forward to beginning my research at the University of Miami.
Very interesting!!

As a hobby, I had read a lot about body...

This is so impressive; you write very well. You can tighten it up by eliminating details that do not forward your purpose -- giving the reader a powerful experience of intrigue. For example, "scratching" is not necessary here:

...rubbing his eye and looking away, scratching/ touching the back...

Less is more.

It is excellent that you name specific names and aspirations. I suggest you read Grinder and Bandler's work about Milton Erickson.
Good luck!!!!!
OP dh593 1 / 1  
Kevin,
Thank you very much for your help! I'll find the Milton Erickson work as well -- I've heard of Erickson, but don't know much about him.

Best,
Dan

Home / Graduate / Univ. of Miami -- Communication PhD Essay