Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Hospitality studies and English - Motivation Letter for Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship

Huddy22052001 1 / -  

Motivation Letter

Dear Admissions Committee,

My name is Miftahudin and I am from Jambi, one of the smallest provinces in Indonesia. Jambi is well-known for its beautiful nature and culture, however, not many people recognize the Jambi's wonders. Therefore, I am extremely interested in pursuing a suitable master's degree program that will enable me to study tourism promotion and management and that will teach me how to address and overcome the problems my local area faces. This is exactly what I found interesting in the Tourism Management programme at Budapest Business School.

When I was a child, my parents always taught me to be hospitable to anyone I encountered. This training and experience brought me to the hospitality industry. As a result, I studied hospitality in vocational high school for 3 years. Those studies included such courses as managerial skills, communication skills, serving skills, and the procedures on how to run and provide services in the world of tourism.

My education also included an internship at one of the 4-star hotels in Jambi, and one of the most important things that I learned was that good service is the key to success in any hospitality business. Therefore, being professional and hospitable was mandatory as I dealt with people who had different characteristics and personalities, and I learned how to make guests feel as comfortable as possible during their stay.

After I completed my vocational high school, I decided to pursue my bachelor degree in English education because of the importance of mastering English language in the tourism world. I graduated with a 3.74 GPA. During my studies in university, in addition to my coursework, I participated in such extracurricular activities as joining an English conversation club where I improved my English skills and met people from many different countries through offline and online platforms. In this club, I also attempted to promote tourism in Jambi by conducting virtual tours for the members since some came from different countries. Furthermore, I also volunteered teaching English and Jambinese culture to underprivileged students in a non-governmental organization in Jambi.

I have always been passionate about learning about new cultures and meeting new people from different countries. When I went to Malaysia and Thailand for an exchange programme during my university studies, I became friends with a young person from Hungary, who was on holiday in Thailand. We have talked a lot about each other's culture and languages, and I became interested in visiting Hungary and learning more about its culture and language in person.

I believe through this master's program not only will I gain valuable knowledge from my studies, but I will also have experiences and make many friends and connections that I will share my friends and family back home.

Living or studying in a foreign country is challenging yet rewarding for many people especially students. Cultural shock and a language barrier are two main challenges that I might face while studying in Hungary. However, by learning the Hungarian language and about Hungarian culture by observing what local people do and how they live, I believe that I can overcome these challenges and will adapt easily.

As we know that the covid-19 outbreak is a global issue and has affected many sectors, especially tourism and the hospitality industry, including in Indonesia. Therefore, seeking a master's degree in tourism management, I believe, is the right step to assist my government in handling this major problem of helping the Indonesian economy recover. I hope after I complete my master's degree from Budapest Business School I can contribute to my local government by working in Jambi City Tourism and Culture Office or working as a lecturer and a researcher to achieve my professional goals.

I believe my previous education from hospitality studies and English education as well as my experiences and interests in language and culture have proven enough that I will be a suitable candidate for this programme and will be a valuable asset for your university.

Thank you for considering my application.

Miftahudin, B.Ed
When I was a child,

The reviewer is not interested in your childhood nor how your parents exposed you to things. Being a masters degree applicant, you must have ample internship and on the job experience to prove that the interest you have in this program is based on an advanced level of educational need and professionalism. This reference must be deleted. Get past vocational school and go directly to your relevant undergraduate studies. That will be the main consideration for your educational foundation in relation to the masters program.

After I completed my vocational high school, I decided to pursue my bachelor degree in English

This discussion is irrelevant to the discussion because you are telling the reviewer that you studied an unrelated undergraduate course. If you learned the job through hands on training, go directly to that discussion.

It appears that you are not qualified for the program due to unrelated undergraduate studies and lack of proper work experience in relation to the masters course. You are applying for admissions to a masters course that you do not represent any qualifications for. This motivational letter will not get past the applicant screening round. The only way your application might stand a chance is if you change it to an application for a masters degree in English. That is what you are more qualified for based upon the information you have presented.

Home / Letters / Hospitality studies and English - Motivation Letter for Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship