Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

The Link Between Diet, Exercise, and the Incidences of Cancer in the United States

ahhhhllly 1 / -  
English 102
Alexandra Daniels
December, 2015

Problem/ Thesis
This year alone, there were 1,658,370 reported cases of individuals diagnosed with cancer in the United States alone. Within those 1,658,370 cases, 589,430 died from this disease (American Cancer Society 2015). Rather than trying to fight cancer off once it's attacked certain parts of the body, this paper aims to explore alternative ways of preventive medicine findings, such as a healthy diet and regular exercise, to prevent cancer before it occurs. By gaining more knowledge on healthy lifestyles, there is a greater change of reducing the incidence of cancer and other diseases.

Diet and exercise
According to Preventive Medicine, most people don't know that there are actions that can be taken to prevent disease and illnesses. Research shows that diet and exercise reduce the risk of cancer. Having knowledge about ways to reduce the risk of cancer is beneficial to people of all ages and all levels of health. There are many different diet and exercise plans that are tailored to cancer prevention and they have been shown to reduce the risk of cancer (Michaels).

However, the problem that we are facing is a national threat. As a whole, America has poor health, causing many people's bodies to become weaker than average and limit the ability for the body to naturally fight off toxins and free-radical cells. As a result of this, cancer is a common disease. In my experience, almost everyone knows someone who has developed cancer from one way or another. The more knowledge there is on this subject, the higher the chances it can be prevented.

Risk-factors
Obesity has recently become a predominant problem in the United States, with obesity rates rising. There has been shown to be a correlation between obesity and increased cases of cancer. Almost everywhere you look, you'll see someone who is overweight. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, more than two-thirds (68.8%) of adults are considered to be overweight or obese. More than one-third (35.7%) of adults are considered obese. More than 1 in 20 (6.3%) have extreme obesity. Research everywhere shows that obesity is common, and sadly, the numbers are still increasing (Need citation).

Perhaps one of the leading causes to obesity in America is fast-food, (e.g., McDonalds. Burger King, and Taco Bell). Fast-food is convenient, cheap, and quick. The more fast food that is consumed, the more weight American's have been shown to gain. This has been shown to be causing more health issues and an increased rate of producing cancerous cells (Need citation).

The link between obesity and cancer
Cancer risk statistics show a link to obesity. There appears to be a link between the two. Being obese is not healthy for the body. Obesity can put an excess amount of strain on the body making it hard for normal everyday functions be performed within the cells and organs. Observing the statistics should be enough reason to want to stay fit and healthy (Need citation).

Obesity has been shown to cause up to eight different types of cancer including the risk of colon cancer, breast cancer, endometrial cancer, and gallbladder cancer. These cancers are shown to occur at a higher frequency when obesity comes into play. Prostate cancer and obesity has been show have a significant correlation with men in the United States (Need citation).

Dr. Michael P. Porter, associate professor of urology and adjunct associate professor of epidemiology and Janet L. Stanford, who graduated from UW School of Public Health and Community Medicine and Epidemiology, did a study in 2005 to determine if prostate cancer and obesity are linked. Cases of prostate cancer were found in King County, Washington using Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) cancer registry. (Porter & Stanford 2005)

The sample for this study consisted of 753 participants, who were men diagnosed with prostate cancer between the ages of 40-46 being interviewed. In addition, interviews were also randomly administered to 703 men the same ages through digit dialing. The results of the study showed that body mass index (BMI) was inversely associated with prostate cancer. In other words, the lower the body mass index, the lower the chance of prostate cancer (Need Citation).

Gallbladder cancer is also at risk when it comes to obesity. The World Research Fund International report, which assessed body fat using BMI found a 25 percent increased risk of gallbladder cancer for every five increases??? of BMI units. In addition, Susan G. Komen with the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation has spent around 1.5 billion dollars on breast cancer research, education, and health services (Need Citation).

Throughout her years of research, Komen has found that women who develop menopause in their earlier years are more prone to breast cancer than the women who go through menopause in their later years. Also, women who are overweight or obese after menopause have a 30 to 60 percent higher breast cancer risk than those who are lean (Need Citation). GOOD JOB!!!

Foods as a risk factor
Recent studies indicate that certain foods should be avoided when it comes to staying away from cancer development. Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are seen to cause tumors inside of rats. GMOs are currently found in many fruits and vegetables. One way to avoid eating GMOs is to eat organic foods.

Another food that should tend to be avoided is animal protein. During his interview with Kathy Freson, writer for Huffington Post Healthy Living, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Professor Emeritus of Corness University, says, "It makes the body more acidic, alters the mix of hormones and modifies important enzyme activities, each of which can cause a broad array of more specific effects. One of these effects is its ability to promote cancer growth (by operating on key enzyme systems, by increasing hormone growth factors and by modifying the tissue acidity) (Need Citation)."

There is also sodium nitrate found in processed meats, which has been linked to raising the risk of colon cancer. Dr. T. Colin Campbell recommends plant-based proteins instead of animal protein. Animal based proteins are higher up in the food chain, causing them to have more toxic chemicals. Protein is still crucial to the diet (Need Citation).

In fact, a recent study on cancer looked at a diet, which was low in carbohydrates and high in animal protein. This showed eating this way can inhibit growth of cancer cells. In addition, the "Stop Cancer Eat a High Protein Low Carb Diet", an article Integrative Cancer Answers claims that "cancer cells have a unique physiology and prefer to get their energy through sugars (Need citation)."

Diet as prevention
As well as plant-based protein, there are specific diets designed for cancer prevention. For example, the Mediterranean diet is a common diet among people living in European countries and is one of the healthiest diets out there. It consists of many plant foods, olive oil, red meats, and red wine. According to the article, "Cancer prevention in Europe: the Mediterranean diet as a protective choice" published by the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, The Mediterranean diet is associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. The biological mechanisms for cancer prevention associated with the Mediterranean diet have been related to the favorable effect of a balanced ratio of omega 6 and omega 3 essential fatty acids. This diet also has high amounts of fiber, antioxidants and polyphenols found in fruit, vegetables, olive oil and wine (Need Citation).

The Mediterranean diet also involves a "Mediterranean way of drinking", that is, regular, moderate consumption of wine mainly with food. This pattern of drinking increases longevity reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and does not influence the overall risk of cancer. Lastly, this diet reveals that a heavy emphasis on olive oil reduces the risk of breast cancer (Need citation). GOOD

According to Jayalakshmi K, who holds a Master's Degree in physics, a bachelor's degree in education, and a diploma in journalism, in the article, "Broccoli and Garlic Help Reduce Cancer Risk by Modifying Immune Responses," he claims that garlic contains sulfur compounds that may stimulate the immune system's natural defenses against cancer. Studies suggest that garlic can reduce the incidence of stomach cancer by as much as 12%. Selenium, which can be found in both broccoli and garlic can contradict the immune response to help fight off cancer (Need citation).

Reducing the occurrences of cancer with activity
It appears that eating healthy and exercising regularly can be first step to a healthy lifestyle with a reduced risk of cancer. Physically active people have a lower risk of colon cancer than people who are not physically active. Research also shows that exercise can reduce the risk of colon cancer by 20% or more in men and women (Need citation).

When the body is exercising, changes in digestive acids occur and are estimated to contribute protection from colon cancer. Current research is also exposing new ways in which physical activity diminishes cancer risk by cutting away chronic inflammation to improve DNA repair. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention released an article called "The Benefits of Physical Activity" claiming "Although the research is not vet final, some findings suggest that the risk of endometrial cancer and lunch??? cancer may be lower if you get regular physical activity compared to people who are not active (Need citation)."

Certain exercises are more beneficial than others. According to national activity guidelines, an ideal goal is to exercise at least 30 minutes a day for most days a week. However, the most beneficial way to lessen risk of cancer is to work out for about an hour using cautious intensity.

Synthesis/ Solutions
Any type of cardio exercise can reduce fat in the body. Fat in the abdomen, or visceral fat, is important to demolish. This type of fat can increase insulin levels, stimulating the increase of cancer cells. Working out causes that fat to disappear, leaving less of a chance for cancer producing cells.

Conclusions
This paper has gone over different types of cancer. It has also reviewed different preventive medicine techniques that can help to reduce the risk of developing cancer such as a healthy plant based diet, the reduction of fast-foods, and regular exercise.

While there is no cure for cancer at this time, there are things that can be done to increase health and vitality in America, specifically. With the excess of fast food chains, eating healthy becomes a challenging task in the busy lives of Americans.

In conclusion, healthy eating styles and working out can reduce the incidence and pain of a life threatening sickness. There have been many studies and articles published by doctors, health magazines, and professors at well known and appreciated colleges that indicate diet and exercise are critical in the goal of avoiding cancer.

We can change our lifestyles, such as cutting down on unhealthy foods and working out as much as possible. With 8 million people dying from the disease each year, a healthy diet and regular exercise appear to be necessary for overall health and the reduction of cancer and other illnesses.
Sh1987 1 / 10 1  
This paper has gone over different types of cancer. It has also reviewed different preventive medicine techniques that can help to reduce the risk of developing cancer such as a healthy plant based diet, the reduction of fast-foods, and regular exercise

I don't know if the sentences above are accurate grammatically. Instead of "paper has gone over" or " it has also reviewed" I would suggest "author of this paper has explained about different types of cancer and "The author also reviewed" or "the author illustrated different..."

Great topic and lots of data.:)

Home / Research Papers / The Link Between Diet, Exercise, and the Incidences of Cancer in the United States