Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Research essay: Are zoos necessary? Hundreds of years ago, all animals lived in natural environment.

ynguyen274 1 / -  
Nguyễn Thị Minh Ý

Animal cruelty
Hundreds of years ago, all animals live in natural environment developing instinctive ways like hunt and the herd instinct. However, zoos increasingly are built by buying wild animals. Furthermore, in February 2016, a large number of animals die and escape from their cages at Vinpearl Safari in Phu Quoc. Indeed, zoos actually not only destroy animal but also use them to run the economy. Therefore, zoos are unnecessary because of three reasons: denying animals freedom, destruction of animal instinct, and the growth of animal deaths.

Firstly, zoos are not necessary since they are as open jails for animals. Thus, in zoos, animals just exist but not to live. It is hard to agree that saving an animal in the zoo is just so as to feed but not so as to adore its being alive (Bertram, 2004, p.202). In addition, narrow habitat affects the behavior of animals. They always have some symptoms like biting, licking, clawing at the cage. For example, due to the active character of monkey species, when they are confined in the cage, which makes them be inhibited. They will have some pesky actions to escape from their cage. In short, zoos are actually inessential because the life in zoos is as open jails, which makes animals have bad behavior.

Another reason why zoos are unessential is that animals in the zoos can lose their instinct. Animals which were taken care in zoos probably cannot live in wild because they can get food for nothing to do in zoos, so they do not know the way how they get their food by themselves. Jamieson (2006) found that "for the most part they are prevented from gathering their own food, developing their own social orders, and generally behaving in ways that are natural to them. These activities all require significantly more liberty than most animals are permitted in zoos" (p.133 ). Moreover, animals lose defenselessness. For example, lion is supreme ruler in the animal world, however, it can be killed by buffaloes when it is come back the natural environment after living many years in zoo.

Finally, zoos are no longer acceptable due to the increase in animal death in zoos. Zoos simply can not provide the natural conditions for a decent life for many animals. On the other hand, zoos provide safe haven place for animals and limit the risk of attack of animals. However, Asian and African elephants are born in zoos having life-span from 17 to 19 years, while the average age of them when they live in the natural environment are 56 years. That is why animals kept in zoos do not live as long as animals in the wild. Moreover, the lack of medical equipment is a reason why a number of animal deaths increase highly. According to Pakistan Animal Welfare Society (2009), 13 animals had died in one year being made up of a few animals in danger of extinction because of not having urgent treatment or appropriate facilities like X-ray.

In conclusion, definitely zoos are amusing and there is a good opportunity to people having an interest in animals, but there are many problems more than it's advantages as the evidence shows. So people can see that zoos are unnecessary. Denying animals freedom in zoos is cruel. Furthermore, zoos are where animals lose their instinct. Finally, a large number of animals die increasingly, so there is no reason that countries continue building the zoos. Zoos, no matter how to save such animals, they do not back to wildlife and it is meaningless if there are no environment that animals can live by themselves.

References
Bertram, B. (2004). Misconceptions about zoos. Biologist, 51(4), 201-202.
Jamieson, D. (2006). In defense of animals. P. Singer (Ed.). Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
Pakistan Animal Welfare Society. (2009, January 2). Are zoos really necessary?
Retrieved from pawspakistan.org/2009/01/02/are-zoos-really-necessary/
Theodore 4 / 7 2  
Hello Nguyễn Thị Minh Ý, I like your essay very much. This essay is a good essay, but it has a lot of grammar mistakes.

For example, this sentence (However, zoos increasingly are built by buying wild animals. ) is pretty hard to comprehend. Are you trying to say that the increasing numbers of zoos built around the world are contained with animals which are captured from the wild and sold to the zoos?

Furthermore, in February 2016, a large number of animals die (died) and escape (escaped) from their cages at Vinpearl Safari in Phu Quoc.

I hope my identification helps.
Hi Nguyen, first of all, I would like to WELCOME you to the Essay Forum Family, we hope you find this website credible, useful as well as helpful to your future writing reference. We aim to provide you with the most comprehensive and objective feedback that will hopefully serve as a valuable addition to your writing projects.

Now, as I read through your essay, it seemed as though you were having difficulty in arranging your words and create a grammatically correct sentence. As this is true to non native speakers of the English language, what helps is to practice writing and even more so, reading whenever you can. This is the only way to get better at this craft, as it will take time, you can also keep notes of writing, wether it be a draft or anything that comes to mind, this is a good way to identify your progress as you move along.

As much as you need revision in most of your sentences, I loved the fact that you wrote the citations alongside the sentences that you extracted from the source of your paper and this is a very good technique in writing your paper. Practice more and I hope to review your final revision and your future writing projects.

Home / Research Papers / Research essay: Are zoos necessary? Hundreds of years ago, all animals lived in natural environment.