Scholarship for Athletic Training Students

mjeffris3 1 / 1  
Hey all! So here is my letter of application for a scholarship, let me know what you think. There is no specific limit on word or page count, so this is what I got. I was instructed to put a little introduction as well, and that is my second paragraph; it may be a tad lengthy and I'm willing to cut it but I wanted to include it. I am open to suggestions and would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Dear Mr. Jim Wallis,

With reference to an announcement at my athletic training education program's weekly meetings, I am applying for the Big Sky Football Official's Athletic Training Student Scholarship. I am currently in my second year of the program, as well as pursuing a leadership certification as my minor.

When I was seven, I was diagnosed with Legg-Calve Perthes Disease. I spent a good part of my childhood in physical therapy clinics, hoping that one day I'd become one. I worked with the local PT for a school year in high school and decided that I wanted to work with athletes instead of the general public. During my sophomore year of college, I started working with the head athletic trainer at Wenatchee Valley College and I grew very certain that being an ATC was exactly what I wanted to do with my career. As a part of my first year in the athletic training education program at Eastern, I observed many physical therapists and was almost convinced again that I would become a physical therapist. As the year went on, I found that athletic training was more fulfilling than I ever realized. Especially in the high school and university setting, I can appreciate how much athletes benefit from having athletic trainers on staff. I feel that athletic trainers have stronger relationships with their athletes and patients and that is why I will always want to be an athletic trainer.

As stated previously, I am currently in my second year of the Athletic Training Education Program at EWU and I could not imagine a better path of education. I am a fully committed student academically and clinically, and have the leadership skills necessary for this position as well as the humility to ask for help when needed. I have recently been elected Student Committee President of the Northwest Athletic Trainers' Association by the NWATA Student Senate. As a student, I have demonstrated my vested dedication to this path from gained experiences, organized presentations, and participation in EWU's Athletic Training Club.

If awarded this scholarship, I will be one step closer to becoming the great athletic trainer that I hope to be. In the near future, I plan to go back to school and receive a Master's education in Kinesiology or Biomechanics. I find myself observing how other people move on a daily basis, so having the knowledge of biomechanics would help me better serve the athletes I hope to one day work with. My future career plans include working with the National Pro Fastpitch league and Seattle Children's Hospital. I feel these two career settings are ones where I would be able to use my knowledge to its full potential and experience something new every day.

Thank you for taking the time to review my letter of application, resume, transcript and references. I look forward to hearing from you, and please do not hesitate to call if you have any questions. Thank you again for your time and consideration.
A stronger opening statement would benefit your essay; maybe mention the word "inspiration; I have become inspired to..."
I spent a good part of my childhood in physical therapy clinics, hoping that one day I'd become onea physical therapist myself. As a part of my first year in the athletic training education program at Eastern, I observed many physical therapists and was almost convinced

felt inspired once again that I would become a physical therapist...
If awarded this scholarship, I will be one step closer toso grateful for the opportunity to realize my dreams of becoming the great athletic trainer...

I made a few minor adjustments and as long as you attach your contact info to your essay, I don't think you need to remind him to call :) I think you should just keep your closing statement clear and honest, "Thanks for your consideration, etc."

Overall, this is a very inspiring and well written essay and I wish you the best of luck!
OP mjeffris3 1 / 1  
Thank you so much for the feedback, EF_Susan! I will consider this and work on it. Thanks again!
anita123 3 / 6  
Just a strong entrance on your essay, but very nicely worded ! Good luck !:)

Home / Scholarship / Scholarship for Athletic Training Students