Chevening Scholarship; how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your networking skills

PJB 1 / 1 1  
Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your networking skills, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future.

Networking is the art of building alliances, as described by one author. It helps create useful linkages, both within and among communities, organizations, and societies, to mobilize resources and achieve different objectives. Being an outgoing and friendly person, am always in contact with other people on an ongoing basis. I am very good at calling people 'to assembly', I have strong listening skills and very adept at organizing activities. My curiosity and sincere concern helps me to actively seek out information and knowledge. This has helped me to become a strong networker.

Since June 2016, I have been a member (fellow) of the Global Health Corps (GHC) community of emerging leaders who are building the movement for health equity. It is network of young change makers who share a common belief that health is a human right. I attended a 2-week training at Yale University U.S were I got to meet the other 140 fellows from across the world. I was also privileged to attend sessions by influential speakers such as Vice Admiral Vivek Murthy (US Surgeon General), Dr. Eric Bing (George W. Bush Institute Senior Fellow and Director for Global Health), Phil Wilson (Black AIDS Institute, President and CEO), Dr. Noerine Kaleeba (TASO Uganda, Patron and Founder), Michael Skonieczny (Yale University Global Health Leadership Institute, Executive Director) just to mention a few.

I am placed with an American co-fellow in Zambia which has allowed cross-culture collaboration between the two. Additionally, we have quarterly workshops were fellows gather in their placement countries. I attended the first quarter workshop with 21 other fellows in Zambia. We reflected on how we are engaging with the leadership practices, how they are pushing us as global health leaders, and how we can better collaborate and support one another. Me and my co-fellow presented on the research project we are working on and shared knowledge that most fellows did not know.

On the 13th of October, 2016, I was given the honour of accompanying Barbara Bush, the GHC CEO to the US embassy here in Zambia when she visited. I was introduced to the US Ambassador Schultz and delegates from PEPFAR, USAID, CDC and the Health Department of US. We discussed various health issues pertaining to Zambia. I am currently writing a blog on the health issues raised.

In addition, I have access to the entire GHC alumni community on a mailing list and facebook. I am able to ask any question or advice on any topic, as there is always someone who has or is working in such related field. I also signed up for the advisor program where advisors come from a wide range of backgrounds including, Non-Governmental Organizations, academic institutions, government agencies and corporations from around the world. I receive advice on technical, management, implementation or program challenges I face, guidance on the challenges of working in a new organization and environment, and input and assistance on academic and career decisions. I am assigned a mentor to help me track my professional and personal goals. Prior to the GHC fellowship I worked for an NGO that provides merit based scholarships to outstanding Secondary school students. I had a privilege of visiting and conducting career talks with grade 12s in various schools around the country. In 2014, I was a volunteer with Planned Parenthood Association of Zambia as a member of Youth Activists Movement, were we carried out sensitization on sexual reproductive health among youths in Lusaka. Whilst at the University of Zambia, I was an active member of University of Zambia Development Association were I attended various events and talks by speakers like ministers.

I see the Chevening Scholarship as an opportunity to widen my network. I have no doubt it will further my interest, increase my sharing abilities and give me a wider platform to nurture my leadership skills. With Such a rich network, I will apply pressure at local and global level in support of social justice. It will aid me in empowering people facing health disparities and enable them to have a stronger voice in order to achieve health equity. I will be enabled to bring about sound health policies thereby influencing future communities.

It will make available opportunities for increased communication and an asset to sort international civil society and help come up with different kinds of strategies and projects for the NGO I plan to start along my career path. This will further unite people at local level with people at global level as we work toward a shared goal.
Bevis, as i warned one of the applicants here before, if you can't approach the well known people that you mentioned in the essay, if there is even a remote chance that it was merely an acquaintance meeting and not a network meeting, then do not mention them. If you do not have regular and direct contact with the speakers from the Assembly and Mrs. Bush, or even the ambassador for that matter, do not mention their names. the networking essay is not about name dropping. It is all about proving that you know how to build a network and use it to your advantage. Your essay truly proves this ability of yours even without the notable names indicated. It will be in your best interest to just remove the names from your essay and just concentrate on allowing your networking skills to stand on its own merit. As for the last portion, while you mention how you plan to use Chevening to your networking advantage, you are also expected to mention how Chevening can use you and your network in the future. Either as a mentor to other scholars or as a person who can assist the scholars in their career pursuits. The final paragraph should be all about giving back to the people who helped you get to where you are.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening Scholarship; how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your networking skills