Commonwealth Scholarship: Future Career Plan - Advancing the Nigerian Construction Industry

isahmk125 3 / 5 1  
The Commission would like to get a clear idea of how the proposed qualification will assist you in your planned career. Please give brief details of the skills that you expect to gain from this award and of your professional plans once you return home on completion of your award.

CAREER PLAN RELATED TO construction management

Nigeria construction industry has, for many decades, been marred by decline in productivity, poor waste management, decline in innovation among other things. However, obtaining Master's degree in construction management from a UK university will equip me with relevant skills to improve my research expertise, advance my leadership capabilities and intellectual exposure, which will give me the adroitness in undertaking cutting-edge researches that will advance and revolutionize the Nigerian construction industry: an industry known for its resistance to change. For that reason, I aspire, immediately after my post graduate study, to return to my Alma mater, XXXX University, to engage myself, together with my professors in active teaching, research, and the use of emerging technological solutions in addressing the numerous challenges ravaging the industry. I would also immediately join the Nigeria Institute of Building (NIOB) and Council of Registered Builders of Nigeria (CORBON). I will utilise the opportunity to attend conferences, seminars and myself present papers for the advancement of the industry. Moreover, I will meet a lot of professionals from various universities, disciplines and the industry. This will serve as a synergy in providing a lasting solution to the menace bedeviling the industry.

Five years after my postgraduate study, I would like to be deeply engaged in writing and publication of journals, periodicals, conference proceeding both local and international, particularly in the field of circular economy and sustainable construction and innovation. I will also, at this stage, further earn my PhD in related construction management sub-discipline. This will further give me the opportunity to interact with professors in the UK and around the globe in order to broaden my horizon, keep me abreast with the latest and emerging technology. Being a student of knowledge who derives much pleasure, fulfillment and satisfaction from helping others grow academically, I desire to, actively engage in online and live counselling service, particularly to Students in construction-related field so as to help them identify their areas of interest and to sensitise them about the career prospect and challenges within the field.

As for my long term plan, I would like to be part of the National Executive Council (NEC) at both the university and national level, and a fellow with the NIOB. With this, am assured of power and authority to be part of the decision-making team. Therefore, this will give me the supremacy to correct and amends all ills. The National Youth Service, for instance, I will make sure that policy is being made and implemented that all graduate from professional disciplines are sent to institutions or organisations pertinent to their course of study. I will also ensure the standard of our construction industry are reinvigorated, productivity level is improved low profit margin are addressed in order to realise the growth potentials of the country in terms of infrastructure provision for sustainable development.
Ibrahim, you focused so much on the post graduate plans and opportunities that you plan on achieving that you totally forgot to discuss the skills that you hope to gain from this award. Being a person engaged in the Nigerian construction industry, what differences do you see between the builder qualifications in Nigeria and the UK? Since such differences exist, what kind of skills do you hope to focus on in order to develop your abilities in these skills while in the UK in order to use it upon your return to the UK? While you did indicate a plan to join various professional organizations upon your return to Nigeria, you don't explain what skills, based upon your UK education at the university of your choice, you will be contributing in order to bring the construction abilities of Nigeria into the 21st century based on British standards. Revise the essay to cover the missing elements from the prompt then reduce the discussion of your post graduate plans to represent only a 5 year plan maximum. Your short term plan should represent a period of 6 months to 1 year, no more than that.

Home / Scholarship / Commonwealth Scholarship: Future Career Plan - Advancing the Nigerian Construction Industry