Design: an art and a science - Personal statement for GKS-G scholarship

kerchscholar 1 / 1  
Growing up and realizing that design was both an art and a science was as fascinating as understanding how it was able to solve most of the world's challenging problems. This enforces the quote from Robin Matthew that says "Design is where science and art break even." In my early teens, I would always sketch down things I wanted to do in the future and make little art of ideas I had. At age thirteen, the passion for design was evident in my way of life, so my father enrolled me in a professional institute to study graphic design and also master the Microsoft Office suite during my vacations for three consecutive years, despite the low financial state of our family. Even though my interests in design and science were at par, I took the route to study science at my senior high school level since I was interested in experimentation of knowledge of the world. This path assisted my learning and experience in the design industry as it helped me understand problem-solving and user-oriented solutions.

My senior high school years played a pivotal role in shaping my journey towards design, even as a science student. During this time, I had the opportunity to sharpen my design skills in unexpected ways. Despite my science background, I consistently found myself taking the lead in designing presentations and creating captivating exhibitions for various group and team projects. This allowed me to experiment with the power of visual communication, combining aesthetics and information to engage and inform. Moreover, my high school experience also nurtured my leadership abilities as a born leader, the first of six children. I held significant roles as the assistant class president, where I learned to coordinate and lead my peers, and as the first vice president for the Scripture Union (SU) association of my school. These formative years did not only unveil my passion for design, but also equipped me with the essential leadership and problem-solving skills that are integral to a successful career in the design industry.

During my undergraduate studies at Akim State College, affiliated to the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, I had the privilege of enrolling in the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. This program opened me up to various courses which provided me with a solid foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and system theories and methodologies. My epiphany of product design happened when I took a course in Human Computer Interaction (HCI) during my sixth semester. The HCI coursework expanded my understanding of design theory and methodology, human and user-centered design and the popular Standford design thinking process. I was able to apply these principles in a practical, real-world scenarios during my final year project where I designed and built an 'Online Lecturers Assessment System'. As a first-generation university student in my family, I approached my academic journey with much dedication as I understood the significance of how education could greater open doors for me. My undergraduate years saw me learning how to adapt and collaborate as my class had a good number of foreign nationals which made me learn how to adjust to change and learn how to turn cultural differences into learning opportunities.

As mandatory of every university graduate here in Ghana to do a one-year national service, I became a trainee for a year at the National Identification Authority (NIA). Drawing from my one-year service at the NIA, I gain practical insights into user-centered design, data visualization, and effective public sector communication. This experience also offered me a unique opportunity to contribute to projects with significant societal impact and improved my skills in multidisciplinary collaboration, and project management, preparing me for a career in government-related design and social impact initiatives. During this period, I also took the path of getting into design professionally by taking courses that would in end certify my knowledge and skills. I took courses on User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) Design with the help of financial aids on Coursera. I also managed to attend a paid 5-week product design bootcamp where I was privileged to be selected to work on three live projects as a designer and a team lead which helped me gain real world experience, improve my problem-solving skills, and helped me build a strong portfolio. Despite my little experience in the design industry, I am currently working as a UI/UX Designer at Broadspectrum Limited in Ghana and a Content Designer at Autopilot in the United States of America. I also volunteer for some design communities Like Friends of Figma Accra (FoF-Accra) and Techies 4 Impact (T4I) where I help create design-related initiatives, projects and events that foster collaboration and advancement of the design community here in Ghana and Africa at large. Following my passion for design. I write articles to share my ideas and knowledge on design topics. I also run a monthly newsletter called 'The Design Life' where I share my journey and lifestyle as a designer.

Standing at the crossroads of my academic voyage, where I am eager to embark on a new chapter to gain a strong academic and professional knowledge on design, South Korea, a land renowned for its cutting-edge technology and rich design culture, emerged as my long-standing dream destination for this transformative journey. It is clear how the design industry in South Korea is constantly gaining recognition for its innovative approach to user-centred design, emerging as a hub for technology-driven creativity and sustainability-focused solutions. Their ability to blend tradition with modernity, creating globally appealing designs that reflect the country's rich cultural heritage happens to meet a research plan of mine which centres on Enhancing Design Industry Growth through Global Localization (Glocalization) in Africa and Asia. Due to the impact of design on today's world being profound and far-reaching, touching nearly every aspect of our lives, my ambition is to purse a master's degree in visual design at Pusan National University (PNU) under the Global Korea Scholarship (GKS). Coming from a very low-income family and being a lover of Korean culture, I was glad to know about the GKS program which will be a great opportunity for me to fulfil my ambition of experiencing quality education in South Korea as there are little to no educational avenues to learn design in Ghana. Following communication with Professor Lee Jihye of the Design department faculty, I am convinced that the academic-industry cooperation and experiential form of learning (in regard to Grand-PNU) offered by PNU will provide exposure to relevant design issues through industry-based scenarios and cases which will improve my problem-solving skills and creativity. As both the masters and GKS program promotes interaction and networking, it will help me gain insights into global and regional trends and differences in the design sphere. Interacting with students from other nations will considerably help in developing my sensitivity and acceptance of diverse cultures as well as tolerance to cultural indeterminacy and acceptance of cultural uniqueness.

My journey has been filled with a quest for knowledge, inquisitiveness and tenacity which has significantly influenced every stage of my life and my current destination, despite the many challenges along the way. The GKS program will be an investment into my academic excellence and a driving force for providing innovative solutions to global needs. It will be a platform for me to bridge the Korean and Ghanaian design communities by fostering collaborations, sharing knowledge, and contributing to the global tapestry of design. I am certain that studying at Pusan National University under GKS will make me poised to excel academically, drive innovative design, and build lasting international relationships.
Have you read the personal statement writing guide for the GKS - G scholarship this year? Your essay does not provide all of the information as required of the applicants. It is almost as if you decided to disregard the information requirements of the reviewers with this writing. It focused only on what you want them to know about you. You cannot make the reviewers consider your application based on your terms. You have to give the information that they want and need from you. So no, you cannot use this essay as you have written it. You must write a new one that is more reviewer considerate by creating one based on the given writing prompts.
OP kerchscholar 1 / 1  
Okay please. Will work on it

Home / Scholarship / Design: an art and a science - Personal statement for GKS-G scholarship