PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR GKS SCHOLARSHIP 2022_GRADUATE_ ARTS AND DESIGN

harshita 2 / 3  
Hello, I am applying for the GKS graduate program this year. This is my Personal Statement. I appreciate it if some will critique and give advice. Thank you

PERSONAL STATEMENT

I have pursued my graduation from the XXXXXX in 2018. When I was pursuing this course I came across a dream of choosing the profession of becoming a well-rounded curator and establishing an art gallery. But as I was researching about what a curator is, how to become a curator, what all qualifications are needed, from where I can pursue this course, etc., I came up with myriad options about the places and universities for which I can apply for. From those options, I decided to choose South Korea as my graduation destination. When I was researching what all relevant courses and benefits I can apply for, then I came to know the South Korean Government has issued different types of scholarship programs, I came to know that there is a scholarship program, i.e., Global Korean Scholarship, that provides fully-funded support for education. Not only have they provided full funded support but also myriad benefits for the international students. I believe that if I get this opportunity it will provide the golden opportunities to grasp my education thoroughly as well as act as a bridge to accomplish life goals.

My family consists of four members. My father is 55 years old and runs his own business in XXXX, Jaipur. My mother is a housewife and is 45 years old. I have a younger brother of 22 years of age who is pursuing his Bachelor's graduation. From the time of my adolescence to my adulthood, my parents have always encouraged me for my passion for arts and crafts. My school life was also full of creative opportunities in terms of being a member of the student council as an assistant to my art professor, the project designer in high school, and even the assistant coordinator for the school events. My graduation major was also in Event Management as, according to my parents, this industry is the most creative field for me to prosper in.

The most memorable experience I would reason was 'XXXXXXXX'. The Founder of that event was Mr. XXXX Sir. The duration of the event was about 7 days, with 'n' number of movies from all over the world. I have done the internship with 'XXXXXX' for around 3-4 months. I have seen that event from the very first step from planning the event, paperwork about the guest coming, movies to be on screen, inviting the guests and movie directors, venue hunting, and all the possible work that has to be done for the event. When I was doing that event, despite me there were 2-3 interns more. We all were working on our designated tasks. As I was the project manager, there was a lot more workload was there for me to do with handling the work of other interns. As the time of the event was coming close, we all were getting a lot busier. There was a situation that arose 2-3 days before the first day of the event the platform made for the directors to give their interviews and Q/A with the audiences, the decorator for the event was encountered with a severe accident which was why he canceled the contract. As we heard that news, we all were in a great panic as now what to do. To solve that situation we came up with the solution that we will hire a stage maker who will make the stage structure and for the decoration, I decided that I will personally make the decoration items myself in those remaining days. Then I called everyone in my family (my cousins, my friends, even involved my parents) who so ever could come, and asked them to help me in making the decoration. I used two types of materials, i.e., colored cloth and different sizes of beads. I put them into a vertical string as a dropdown. As I made one sample, I told everyone to make the same but in different lengths. We all together made around 100-150 dropdown strings in 3 days. Now as the decoration was successfully made, we interns as well as our event founder, all started hanging those dropdowns on the supportive horizontal wire. When the directors and reporters came to the stage area, they were mesmerized to see that kind of decoration as it was handmade and was nowhere to be seen again. At the time of interviews, that stage was for the interviewers, the remaining time the stage became the picture attraction for the audiences. After the event was completed, every director and the guests praised us for the stage that we made and were very much happy with the management for the same. I was so very much thankful to everyone who helped me solve the crisis on such short notice. With this experience, I was very much delighted as without my team and my family/friends' help I could not have been achieved my goal of the success of that particular event. With this, I would like to assert "Teamwork is always the direct key to success whether it is in life or work".

This was just one of many experiences that I have encountered in my life. Despite this, there were many other events that I have worked in as a trainee as well as an intern for a few months just for a particular event. During my school years, I was always the student doing all kinds of work like an assistant to teachers, annual function volunteer, and participant, display board designer for both school corridors as well classrooms, etc. I have also participated in many inter-school and inter-house (with-in-school premises) competitions. As my graduation was in event management, I have done all kinds of events during that duration such as corporate events (conferences, exhibitions, etc.), private events (weddings, themed parties, etc.), and charity events (competitions, concerts, sports events, etc.)

In my schools years, I was awarded as an inter-school competition winner, member of the student council, national essay competition runner-up for English, and winner for Hindi and as an active student. Because of my skills in creativity during the graduation years, I was awarded as the Student of the Year in my second year. But now as I have another dream to fulfill, I had to take my time off from this industry. Still, there are different experiences that I gain during my both school years and college years, which I believe can be of great help to me in my further education.
The firsdt paragraph does not contain a compelling reason to drive your motivation to study in Korea. Simply wanting to study via the scholarship program, but without a strong reason to do so defeats the purpose of the motivation. The motivation cannot simply be that the student wishes to study in Korea for free, which is what is implied in the first paragraph. Please expand upon how the parents of the applicant influenced and inspired the pursuit of the craft in a manner that helped motivate the early and advanced studies.

The rest of the essay does not provide an impressive or notable buildup of skills on the part of the applicant. The reference to the notable experience is too long and lacking in impact. Though highly detailed, it does not contain any detail of importance that would help boost the application. The actual essay is not focused on responding to all of the prompt requirements and should be revised. This is a good draft and at least shows the direction the paper should be headed in and what areas need complete revision.
OP harshita 2 / 3  
@Holt thank you for the advice. I will work on it.

Home / Scholarship / PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR GKS SCHOLARSHIP 2022_GRADUATE_ ARTS AND DESIGN