Home / Scholarship % width Posts: 3

Environmental Engineering - Personal Statement For Chinese Government Scholarship

Gabriela123 1 / 2  

Environmental Engineering graduate degree essay

Dear All, kindly help be review this essay before I submit it for Chinese Government Scholarship

My choice of graduate degree in Environmental Engineering is to develop capacity to progress my career in solid waste management. During my study, I want to strengthen my foundational knowledge in materials engineering, project design, research and product development to prepare myself for the process of becoming a consultant for organizations in environmental value chains. I foresee myself capable of moving my local community to zero waste level and opening up of economic opportunities from the value chains in waste management to create accelerated channels towards the actualization of Sustainable Development Goals 1,9, 12 and 13 which are: no poverty, decent work and economic growth, responsible production and consumption and climate action respectively in my community.

Solid waste processing will be the subject of my research with specific objective of converting solid wastes to marketable products to reduce valuable land dedicated for waste dumping and emissions emanating from open incineration. My childhood experience on environmental disasters caused by solid waste mishandling in my local community was a factor that strongly aligns my interest in solid waste management. Disposal of solid waste is a big problem and therefore poses environmental threat for communities because many of the wastes are non-biodegradable. Even the ones that are biodegradable do so with disgusting smell resulting in pollution of fresh air for the communities nearby. As I advanced in age and gained exposure to other regions in Nigeria, I discovered that my community is one out of the numerous communities in the country suffering from this environmental malady though in different degrees. In my last semester in the university, I did an elective module on Environmental Engineering which made me to carried out a field exercise on solid waste handling in Akure municipality. It is from this assessment I discovered that the standard waste treatment in that locality is burning of solid wastes in open landfill which is dangerous to humanity especially now that the global community are salvaging the deadly effects of global warming. Statistically, Nigeria generates over 30 million tons of solid waste annually with little fraction of it undergoing proper handling cum processing. Some are burnt in open field while bulk of it litters the streets and swept by erosion into drainages and rivers thereby causing flooding and water pollution.

Sadly however, humanity will keep generating wastes till the end of time. And in addition, natural materials are gradually getting exhausted as a result of the continuous pressure exerted by human. There is therefore need to look for alternative materials to ease the pressure on the natural reserve. Hence, development of sustainable solid waste processing system capable of converting wastes especially non-biodegradable solid wastes into marketable products that can find usage in construction and energy to lessen the pressure on natural resources.

According to the hierarchy of waste management, there are different approaches at ensuring reduction in volume of wastes in landfills; finding extended products usage (source reduction and reuse) and converting the eventual waste to new products (recycling and resource recovery). This second approach however, interests me because of its sustainability, potential for economic opportunities and job creation. To therefore achieve my long-term goal of becoming a professional consultant in this subject I will maximize every opportunity to learn starting from my day one in China till my final thesis research work and submission.

Holt [Contributor] - / 8,175 2312  
The personal statement should show how you developed a personal and professional interest in a graduate degree in environmental engineering. With that focus in mind, I would have to say that you proposed too much information in this essay to the point where it became a statement of purpose rather than a personal statement. However, that is not to say that there are no elements in this presentation that cannot be used for a personal statement. In actuality, there are several portions of this essay that can be picked out, spliced together, and refined to create your personal statement. I urge you to use the following portions instead:

- My childhood experience ...effects of global warming.
- Sadly however, humanity will ...on natural resources.

Now based on these paragraphs, you should be able to better focus your discussion regarding the academic and professional considerations that led you to choose this masters course (in relation to your potential career advantages and growth), and the academic institution in China ( in relation to your academic objectives and professional applications of your theoretical and practical studies). Complete the inclusion of these information and you should find that you have created a relevant and informative personal statement for the reviewer's consideration with your other application documents.
OP Gabriela123 1 / 2  
@Holt, what do you say to this pls?

My choice of graduate degree in Environmental Engineering is to develop capacity to progress my career in solid waste management. During my study, I want to strengthen my foundational knowledge in materials engineering, project design, research and product development to make me fit in the human resources needed to salvage the current environmental degradation in Nigeria. I however foresee myself capable of moving my local community to zero waste level and opening up of economic opportunities in the value chains in waste management to create accelerated channels towards the actualization of Sustainable Development Goals 1,9, 12 and 13 which are: no poverty, decent work and economic growth, responsible production and consumption and climate action respectively. To this end, solid waste processing will be the subject of my research with specific objective of converting solid wastes to marketable products to reduce valuable land dedicated for waste dumping and emissions emanating from open decomposition and burning.

At every stage of my development as a child, I have different career ambitions which often emanated from my desire to proffer solution to challenges that ensued in my community. As I grew, I learnt that this attribute is trait of problem-solving potential which must be nurtured. With advancement in age and exposure, it became more structured and formed part of my distinctive personality as an adult. In my community at that time, anytime rain falls there is always flooding caused by blockage of water channels by solid waste. The desire to ensure lasting solution to the menace align my interest to study engineering in the university. From available evidences I could gathered as a teenager, I discovered that as an engineer, I can develop better waste management system or create new products from existing waste materials. However, with my good standing in mathematics, strong affinity for chemistry, lifelong love for physics and the curiosity to achieve the above, I opted for Metallurgical and Materials Engineering in my first degree at the Federal University of Technology Akure, the best university of technology in Nigeria.

In the university, I make the best use of the period to lay strong foundation for a knowledge-based career in Materials Engineering, Product Development and opportunity for advanced degrees. In my last semester in the university, I did an elective module on Environmental Engineering where I carried out a field exercise on solid waste handling in Akure municipality. It is from this assessment I discovered that waste handling in that locality still follows medieval process of pilling up on the street and open burning which is dangerous to humanity especially now that the global community are salvaging the deadly effects of global warming. This was an eye opening that refueled my passion.

Volunteering with a Community Development and Environmental based organization after my first degree gave me exposure to industry-based knowledge and global perspective on the severity of waste mishandling. As a young graduate, I was introduced to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) from which my commitment to reduce waste mishandling got restructured. During volunteering, I was actively involved in developmental projects across various communities with kin interest in the environmental impact of the projects or processes. As a result of this engagement, I was selected to represents my community in a Youth Climate Incubation hub organized by United Nations Development Program (UNDP) where I teamed up with youths from other regions of Nigeria to brainstorm on innovative approaches to actualization of Nigeria's Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) target of the Paris Agreement (COP25). This made me realized that in all communities in Nigeria, disposal of solid waste is a big problem which poses environmental threat for communities because many of the wastes are non-biodegradable. However, the ones that are biodegradable do so with disgusting smell resulting in pollution of fresh air for the communities nearby. Sadly however, humanity will keep generating wastes till the end of time. Moreover, natural materials are gradually getting exhausted as a result of the continuous pressure exerted by human. There is therefore need to look for alternative materials to ease the pressure on the natural reserve. Hence, development of sustainable solid waste processing system capable of converting wastes especially non-biodegradable solid wastes into marketable products that can find usage in construction and energy to lessen the pressure on natural resources.

Home / Scholarship / Environmental Engineering - Personal Statement For Chinese Government Scholarship