Epidemiology Study Plan for Korean Scholarship

rsydnd 2 / 7  
Hello, this is my study plan essay for Korean Scholarship.
I need your advice regarding the content of this essay. Thank you very much

mathematics' application to biosciences

Considering the efforts that it will take in my pursuit of a master's degree, I do not come up without a clear goal. My study goal is expanding my mathematical knowledge so that I would have a stronger base to take a part in enriching mathematical science as a lecturer and mathematician. I am eager to pursue my higher study at xxxxx where there is School of Mathematics with Mathematical Biology Laboratory that I am very interested to join. Hence, by learning more about mathematical biology, I wish it could bring a greater benefit for biosciences as well.

In my period as a master student at xxxx, I am interested do a research in mathematics' application to biosciences especially epidemiology, which is related to the transmission of infectious diseases in populations. I am aware that such area of mathematical research is important to be conducted, considering the fact that infectious diseases constantly pose a threat to human beings. The emergence and re-emergence of infectious diseases have become a significant worldwide problem, including xxxx and South Korea. In the last two decades, mathematical research has been overwhelmingly increasing in this area and many mathematicians have successfully modeled the transmission of various infectious diseases caused by viruses, such as HIV, H5N1, etc. but such research on disease caused by Zika virus (ZIKV) is still limited as this disease has just re-emerged in the past couple years with its outbreaks in Brazil and Americas. Furthermore, in the end of 2016, the 16th Zika Virus infection in South Korea was confirmed. This fact triggers me to do a further mathematical resaerch on this particular disease. The aim of this research is to formulate a mathematical model in order to reach proper understanding of transmission mechanisms of the Zika disease and also may facilitate public health organization in predicting the future dynamic of the disease and deciding intervention strategies.

Zika, like malaria and dengue, is a mosquito-borne disease which is transmitted by mousquito bites. In addition to its vectorial transmission, Zika also could be transmitted by sexual interactions. Bonyah and Okosun [1] proposed a model of Zika transmission which introduces optimal control strategies that is useful to learn about the effects of intervention strategies but, in the construction of the model, the possibility of sexual transmission of Zika was neglected. Meanwhile, Agusto, Bewick, and Fagan [2] have formulated a Zika transmission model which incorporates both vectorial and sexual transmission routes. Therefore, in my future research, I would like to combine the idea of Bonyah and Okosun [1] with the one of Augusto et al [2] to propose a mathematical model of Zika with optimal control strategies which incorporates both vectorial and sexual transmission routes. In the model, compartment model SEIR will be proposed where both humans (male and female) and mosquitos will be considered and each of them is classified into the four subclasses (susceptible, exposed, infected and recovered). Furthermore, Pontryagin's maximum principle will be used to characterize the necessary conditions for the optimal control of Zika where the controls are including prevention and the use of insecticide, since there is no vaccines or treatment available yet for Zika. Then, in order to illustrate the results of the analysis, numerical simulation of the model will be carried out.
Rossy, this is a very well thought out study plan. It is clear and defines every step of the research that you want to undertake in a related manner. Even a lay person will be able to understand what the purpose of your study is. However, you fell short in your presentation because, although you presented an impressive thesis statement and methodology, there is no reference to the expected outcome of the study. Since you are combining a number of research methods into a new, single model, there should also be a hypothetical result expected. After all, you would not be combining these studies if you did not have an idea in mind regarding the possible results of the tests when done altogether. Represent your hypothetical result and the study plan will be ready for presentation.

Home / Scholarship / Epidemiology Study Plan for Korean Scholarship