Home / Scholarship % width Posts: 3

GKS/KGSP Essay Study Plan Language (BEFORE and AFTER you come to Korea.)

vbastos36 1 / 1  
Please guys, can you give some feedback and help me improve this little "essay"?

PROMPT:

Study plans to improve foreign languages (Korean, English, etc) required for taking a bachelor's degree course.

BEFORE and AFTER you come to Korea.

- English Language: As I already have a certain level of proficiency in English, I plan to develop my skills even further during lectures and presentations held in English, both in my university and in the language center, as well with foreigners that I may encounter during my study stay.

BEFORE I GO TO KOREA
- Korean Language: I already started to learn the Hangul and its composition. Besides being a really hard task, since it is a totally new alphabet for me, I dedicate a certain time of my day to practice it and learn some words.

AFTER I GO TO KOREA
- Korean Language: During the first year of the intensive language program, I will dedicate most of my time to learn Korean outside the classes. I already searched for some methods to improve language-learning, and I plan to immerse myself in the Korean community and practice every day with some peers. I believe that this is the best way to learn some unknown language and to get a better grasp of other cultures

Holt [Contributor] - / 9,025 2715  
You should be presenting the information in an essay / paragraph form. You do not need to outline the plans. Rather, you should be showing a connection between your current preparation for your language skills improvement and your future plans to improve your language. Develop your plans equally for both language. Just because you have some English proficiency does not mean you do not need to continue developing it in the future. Explain how you plan to improve your English skills in relation to your Hangul usage. The two go hand in hand. If you can understand Hangul, then you should be able to translate it to English and vice versa. The idea, is to prove that you will be pursuing language development courses in both dialects to help you improve your student skills. So, how do you plan to do that? Expand your explanations. These are mere topic ideas. You don't really explain how you will use the available sources at your university in Korea, and the social crowd of your classes, to help you become proficient with both languages. You need an expanded discussion for the essay. These are only outlines and brainstorms. These are not actual Language Study Plans as you are expected to present it to the reviewer.
OP vbastos36 1 / 1  
20 hrs ago   #3

CONSIDER THIS ONE PLEASE, I CORRECTED SOME ERRORS

Currently, I study English through online articles and magazines that presents themes that I enjoy learning. As I already have an advanced level of English, I try to dedicate my reading skills to more academic and higher-level texts, given the need to understand passages of such difficulty during my studies at the university. In concern to my speaking abilities, I have a friend who also plans to study abroad, so our communication takes place only in English, either through texts or audios. I also love listening to TED's talks on a variety of subjects, so I can expand my general knowledge and also deepen my comprehension of the English language in a more relaxed way.

Similarly, I started to study the Hangul. As I am still at the beginning of my learning, I try to understand phrases frequently used in everyday life, through online videos, apps, courses, and also through Korean films. As English is the common language that I will use to study Korean, my skills in each language will be highly improved since I will have to understand Hangul to translate it into English and vice versa and also to study in my daily life.

Once in Korea, I will have the chance to use all the available sources at my university and language center, such as libraries, classes taught in English, and even advanced English classes offered at the institution. Also, I will be able to absorb the full potential of my classmates during the lessons, either through classroom debates or conversations after school.

Finally, as a foreigner in South Korea, the necessity to communicate in Korean with residents is inevitable, considering not everyone can communicate in English. Therefore, I would feel more pressured to learn the language, whether to seek directions, to go to some cafe, or even to make friends.

Home / Scholarship / GKS/KGSP Essay Study Plan Language (BEFORE and AFTER you come to Korea.)