Short essay about Heuristics (Questbridge College Prep Scholars Program) 1st prompt

radioq 1 / -  
Prompt:
Tell us about a concept, theory, or topic you have explored simply because it sparked your intellectual curiosity.

Why do you find it intriguing? How do you want to explore it further?

(200 words)

For context, the topic of this essay is supposed to be related to the applicant's future field of study. I am pretty confident that I want to pursue a Cognitive Science major!

My essay:

Why do people believe in QAnon? Or absurd theories about what "really" happened on 9/11? Perhaps it is merely ignorance. Or perhaps heuristics cause such aberrations in critical thinking.

My first introduction to heuristics was in my Theory of Knowledge class when I wrote a paper on why people believe obvious falsehoods. Cognitive shortcuts are a major reason this occurs. I began to read about various types of heuristics and how they can cloud our judgment. I wanted to know more. Why?

If I am oblivious to these faults in human reasoning, how can I ensure that my beliefs and decisions are rational? How can I truly be receptive to opposing views?

To further investigate the inner workings of human thought processes and behaviors, I decided to study AP Psychology independently. Yet, I know that I have only scratched the surface. I long to delve into this subject further by researching the relationship between cognitive schema and the formulation of belief systems as well as how they govern human behavior. It is imperative that I become acutely aware of my perspective's shortcomings and probe my thoughts for hidden biases.

Only then can I consider myself a true seeker of knowledge.

Questbridge essays are supposed to be personal, but I'm struggling with this essay because it seems very mundane. I am interested in the topic, but I'm not sure how to make it more personal. Thank you for reading and/or providing feedback.
If you are really confident that you wish to be a Cognitive Science student, then you should not be afraid to get personal in the discussion. An apprehension when it comes to the personal reasons for the course means there is a part of you that is not certain of this choice. Consider discussing Psychology in general at the start. Maybe you will be able to create a channel that will connect the two related fields by doing so. Do not try to be too deeply intellectual in the presentation. That could be another reason that you are getting blocked from a personal presentation. Just keep things simple. Don't try to impress the reviewer with the first essay. That should happen over a series of connected essay prompts.

Home / Scholarship / Short essay about Heuristics (Questbridge College Prep Scholars Program) 1st prompt