A leader of people - a short essay on a subject of personal importance to you

XUANHUA 1 / -  
Being a leader of 40 people would have never crossed my mind when I was in secondary school, but today, I have served as the president of the Co-curriculum Unit in my college, leading 40 people to serve the college and receiving the Excellence Leadership Award because of it.

When I enrolled on college, I only applied for the Vice Secretary position due to my lack of confidence and experience but was offered the President position instead. My first task was leading my team to organise a Chinese New Year cookie sale. I faced many challenges and was doubting my position as a leader as sales were not promising, receiving only two orders in the first week and I blamed myself for it. But I did not give up, I consulted the teachers and seniors looking for solutions. I worked tirelessly with my members to promote our cookies in college and was able to earn a profit of RM 954.23 which I am proud of. This has shown me that I could achieve something greater than I expected and has taught me teamwork, decision-making and communication skills that have opened more opportunities for me to display my leadership skills as I build my confidence. With every project I was involved in, no matter my position, I was able to develop my soft skills and enjoyed making meaningful friendships along the way. Slowly, I gained experience in every hardship I faced and my efforts were acknowledged by the college, awarding me the Excellence Leadership Award of 2023.

I may not have been the perfect leader throughout my service, but it was a great stepping stone for me as I was able to learn the basics of leadership skills and build my confidence in being a well-worthy leader.

Thanks in advance for anyone that is willing to help me.
The essay has room for improvement. For example, you should have had an expanded discussion regarding how you ended up in the president position when that is not what you applied for. You could have expanded on any leadership skills that you had at the time but did not notice. Yet it went noticed by some and that is why you ended up being offered the highest position instead.

Try to achieve formatting balance in the presentation. A formatting balance is achieved when the paragraphs are long enough to match each other in terms of content and lines in the presentation. It shows a more balanced discussion and allows the reader to learn more about the writer. Try to include more information in your writing next time.

Home / Scholarship / A leader of people - a short essay on a subject of personal importance to you