Leadership is getting people to know about their undiscovered capabilities

EsraaSherbiny 1 / -  

Chevening Leadership and Influence question

I have always believed that Leadership starts with listening to people and helping them as meanwhile getting them to know about their undiscovered capabilities, I do discover a lot about myself. I do believe as well that leading someone through the right way starts with making them confident and have the passion to learn more.

When I was a senior at college, my Italian teachers were impressed by my presentation and advised me to start my teaching career. That's when my passion for teaching started and right after graduation, I took a TEFL diploma then volunteered to be an English Teacher for those who cannot afford the courses' fees. I started with my neighbors' kids as they were not that good in English at school. After some sessions, their parents were amazed by their marks at school and the kids asked for more session with me as they found learning English is easy and fun.

Then I started teaching online and one of my students, who was a fresh graduate, has always dreamt of being an accountant in the time that every fresh graduate has to take time in a call center. He refused to work there and wanted to start as an accountant so, he started to take online courses in Finance and Accounting but only English that he was missing. I kept teaching English to him for 4 months and he was beyond happy with his learning skills and how his English is getting improved day by day but during that time, he got rejected in so many interviews that made him feel down and even stopped attending the sessions. I knew I had to make him get up again and chase his dream. I kept calling him and got him back to the sessions and even made him teach me finance and accounting. I told him that he is intelligent and will be a great accountant then I was beyond happy when I knew that he got accepted in a multinational company as an accountant. Now he is doing great in Saudi Arabia and the first step of his dream was accomplished.

While my love for teaching was growing with helping people, my real passion was to have a career in HR field as I have been reading a lot about it and how it makes people improve their skills and sort out their issues. Once I was offered such a position, I immediately accepted and was able to mix between teaching and HR. Now, I have been working as a Vendor and Project Manager for 2 years and gladly provide training to my team's newcomers and help them enhance their recruitment skills.

I learned that some people only need to be confident, have faith and some support. They just need to know that they have marvelous skills and competencies and by using them, anything can be possible. That is what the leaders do as Napoleon Bonaparte said: "A leader is a dealer in hope".
Meyamoo 3 / 6  
@EsraaSherbiny
hi Esraa I think you have a good introduction and closure but the example is not good enough, good point of view you can help people but I think it differs from being a leadership and give example of how could you deal and control group of people what are the skills do you have ??
Esraa, while this story is highly interesting to read, it doesn't reflect any true leadership and influencing skill in the discharge of your duties. As a teacher, you need physical interaction, not virtual interaction with your students in order to have a true leadership and influencing experience. There was no leadership or influencing going on during your session. Influential is different from inspirational. An influential person is defined as having great influence on someone or something. While an inspirational person provides or shows creativity or spiritual inspiration. That is what you did in the story you referenced in your essay. Don't you have any professional experience that has you more in an actual leadership and influencing role to share? This essay simply won't work for the prompt you are trying to respond to. Try to refine the essay to contain a real reference to a leadership skill and an influencing action.

Home / Scholarship / Leadership is getting people to know about their undiscovered capabilities