Life is only a chance - Personal Statement for GKS (Global Korea Scholarship)

vidyainjiela 1 / 1  

"Life is the only chance to give the best impact within you to the world ".

My mother always motivates me to endlessly developing every potency within me and worthwhile for many people. I was born as Vidya Berlian Mara Injiela, the first child of 3 siblings from an entrepreneur and a housewife. Growing up in a religiously disciplined family led me to a Christian-based education with discipline in character building until I finished junior high school. When I was 14 years old, I felt I had to dare to challenge myself to step out from my comfort zone. Because of that, I decided to continue my education at a public school that was certainly in a different environment from before. In this step, I began to develop myself through creating new experiences, built strong characters that the world needs, and focus on achieving goals in the future.

Even though I'm focused on pursuing academics rather than art at school, I'm very passionate in expressing something through scribbles and colors since I was 8 years old as I watched a cartoon called "Blue's Clues". When I was in 9th grade, I became interested in interior design because I saw my neighbor's house that recently renovated with an unique layout and friendly environment design. From there I began to be curious and explore interior architecture through Pinterest, YouTube, some interior architect journals and once visited an interior architecture exhibition in my city.

In the process of achieving my goals, I planted the best values as long as I could. During high school, I activate myself in various activities. I joined Youth Science Club as my big curiosity for research and also improving leadership in the Student Council. In Youth Science Club, I took the focus of research on anti-corrosion in the temple by utilizing shrimp shells waste, and from the research I learned that many natural resources and even waste can be used as materials to reduce environmental problems. That research was awarded a silver prize at Seoul International Invention Fair 2018. At the same time, I became interested to study in South Korea and continue my research there because I saw rapid technological advancements and environmental qualities that guarantee a comfortable life and certainly can support my goals in making friendly environment building. Other than that, the spirit of leadership and organizational relationships within me were formed in the student council since I had served as the vice chairman. Mental and perseverance in me trained when I had to be able to balance between school and organization at the same time as I became the chief executive of the school's art performance. I felt that I had become a person who had grown up with a strong mentality, discipline, responsibility, purposeful soul, and the most important thing for me is the courage to step out from my comfort zone and take action to give the best benefits for many people. Besides that, to understand how to be the generation that Indonesia needed, I attended the seminar of patriotism and entrepreneurship. I learned a lot how to be generation that has obvious and purposeful goals for better Indonesia. Furthermore, my entrepreneurial spirit formed when I made artworks and many people were interested to buy it, so I earned my own money since I was 13 years old. I'm very satisfied when I can make my own money and become more self-independent.

Through the experiences and achievements that I have had so far, I want to bring it to continue my steps to a higher stage to actualize my goals in the future that the impact can be felt by many people. I took the step to apply for this scholarship because I want to contribute to strengthening the relationship between Indonesia and Korea in the field of education and research on interior architecture. Through the existence of advanced technology and education facilities in South Korea, it can support the continuation of my environment research and achieving my goals maximally. I will take my focus on interior architecture in Korean Universities because there are materials that I want to deepen that would certainly bring me closer to become an interior architect. Besides that, I also need to deepen my education with spirit of Christianity which I can develop in international relations in there.

In the next 10 years, I want to become an interior architect by realizing the results of research that I have started since high school, to improve the quality of buildings and the environment. Therefore, to achieve it I need this scholarship to be a bridge to success in the future and live it as well as possible until my future targets advantageous for the life, the advance of Indonesia, and the relation between Indonesia and Korea. In addition, by undergoing this scholarship, I will establish my international relations and absorb many positive things that I have never gotten while I studied in my country, so when I will return to my country I can distribute it for a better quality of Indonesia. In my opinion, to make an impact on life, I must dare to challenge myself to step out from my comfort zone and work with all the potency that I have. Without any action, whatever we have is useless and there is no change at all.

" My Father is always working, so am I " - John 5 : 17
There are 2 types of GKS programs, the undergraduate and the graduate programs. Which one are you applying to ? The reason I ask is because each scholarship program has specific discussion requirements.I am unclear as to which one you will be applying far as there is noreference to it in you rpresentation. I will be unable to present a targeted review and observation of your essay because of that.

Avoid a reference to settling on a career path at the age of 9 based on a toddlers television show. Reviewers do not only laugh at such references, they do not believe it either. Reference a more believable exposure starting at age 13 instead, which is the age when most students begin to consider their professional career paths. I am afraid I cannot continue reviewing your essay past this point. Not unless I know which type of application you are writing for.
OP vidyainjiela 1 / 1  
Hi, thankyou in advance for giving me a response. Actually I wrote this essay for GKS Undergraduate Program. I will re-check and correcting my essay based on your advice you give.

Home / Scholarship / Life is only a chance - Personal Statement for GKS (Global Korea Scholarship)