Nothing is impossible. Follow-On Service Project for Study Abroad Scholarship

adventureabroad 2 / 4 1  
1. Briefly outline your proposed project to promote the Gilman Scholarship and international education. How will this project impact your home university or home community? What are your project goals?

2. What is your target population and how will your project impact this group?

3. How will you integrate the impact of your experiences abroad into your project?

4. What, if any, campus departments, student organizations, and/or community organizations will you collaborate with in promoting the Gilman Scholarship and international education? Have you already made contact with these groups?

Follow-on project

My follow-on service project to promote the Gilman Scholarship and International Education will consist of making students of color aware of the benefits and impact of studying abroad. In a study done by National Association of Foreign Student Advisers: Association of International Educators, only 6% of students who studied abroad during 2014-2015 were African American. I know first-hand that the ability to see the world from a different perspective has the power to innovate the minds of others. The value of an international education is incomparable to regular instruction. I have had the wonderful opportunity to share my experiences with my community and expand their horizons of the world. Building upon this, I am confident that upon returning from France I can continue my outreach to underrepresented students.

My proposed project would consist of an outreach campaign that will have two overlapping phases: videos and campus outreach. First, I plan to video blog my experience on YouTube. Every week I will make a video highlighting what I have done, and one thing I learned during that time. These videos will be targeted towards minority students, specifically African Americans, who are interested in studying in not only France, but abroad in general. In addition, I will track my French language skills from beginning to end. It is imperative for students and others watching that my experience is not just about going to the country, but also immersing myself and studying the culture. Furthermore, I plan to explain how I am spending my money and give pointers on how to budget for studying abroad. Because I had the opportunity of studying abroad before, I realize some common mistakes that can be made such as not applying for more scholarships and wasting money on items not needed. For questions that people may have on a video, they can input them into the comments section, and I can make a video explaining my answer. Because there are not many video testimonials of minorities studying abroad, I am hopeful that sharing my experiences will motivate those who wish to achieve this goal.

Secondly, another way of promoting international education to minorities would be in conjunction with organizations on my campus and communities nearby. Being in the Minority Advisement Program, I work with different organizations such as the Black Student Alliance and the Multicultural Student Center. These clubs are put in place for minority students to have a voice and a safe space to interact with others who share similar problems and experiences such as discrimination and culture differences. My goal upon returning from my study abroad would be to hold a group informational session where students in these organizations can come to learn about international education, and discuss how they can afford it. In a powerpoint that I put together I can go over statistical evidence of the impact of study abroad, and the long term benefits it has on students. These benefits include higher chance of job placement post-graduation, better chance of adaptability in the work environment, as well as higher average starting salaries.

I plan to work closely with the director at the Office of International Studies at my school during and after my time abroad. With her assistance in this presentation, she can give students reassurance on affording study abroad by providing information on scholarships and different opportunities. I will open this presentation by telling about how I was able to afford and accomplish studying abroad twice to Canada and France, and share some my best and worst moments. In addition, I will explain how I was able to adapt to a different culture, and provide my viewpoint of being a black student abroad. Speaking with past minority students who have also studied abroad, I can ask them to share their experiences so students can get an array of distinct testimonials. Included in this powerpoint will be a slide dedicated to the Gilman Scholarship. On this slide will provide details such as how to apply, requirements, and due dates. This presentation will be given mid to late January to give time to weigh options and apply for scholarships. Furthermore, although I have begun speaking with these organizations and my director, I will reach out to them 2-3 months prior to my return to schedule a proper date that works for everyone. I am confident my efforts will ensure students feel more comfortable about making the decision on an international education.

It is a goal of most students to study abroad, and from my follow-on service project I want students to realize that it can be achieved no matter how impossible it may seem. I believe an international education should not be a luxury, but rather becoming an almost essential part of an education in the 21st century. From a minority's perspective, seeing others who come from a similar background achieve something most do not is inspirational. It makes them feel they can do anything they set their mind to. Aside from promoting diversity, this is my biggest goal from my proposal. I love that I can be an inspiration to others, and that my experiences can be a catalyst for their dreams and aspirations. I am happy that my efforts can influence others one conversation at a time. From my experiences abroad last semester, I was able to assist a friend of mine in studying abroad this year to Austria. It was amazing to know that I helped them achieve this, and they now have the opportunity to influence someone else. With the help of the Gilman Scholarship, I am able to live my dream and help other students pursue theirs. That is the greatest thing I could ask for.

Thanks so much!
Bryan, you are missing out on an extreme opportunity to promote the scholarship program while you are a student abroad. Since you will already be vlogging your adventures, why not promote the Gilman scholarship there as well? You can explain the promotion as some sort of advertising at the end of your Vlog like the shows do at the end or beginning of their programs. For example, you can say that at the start and end of every Vlog you post on Youtube, you will place a reference that says "Today's adventures are sponsored by the Gilman Foundation" with the inclusion of the url for the foundation. Then at the end, you can post another similar shot that says "Thanks to the Gilman Foundation for this life enriching opportunity" again with the link to the website. That way, you do not have to wait until you get back to your home country before you start promoting the scholarship. You could even give a special shout out to the foundation within your Vlog from time to time.

The rest of your promotional plans are good and the target audience and how you plan to reach out is exemplary. However, there is a missed opportunity when it comes to promoting the scholarship and I hope you take my advice under consideration.

Home / Scholarship / Nothing is impossible. Follow-On Service Project for Study Abroad Scholarship