Plan of study, tight connected with the economy of Nigeria - Commonwealth Shared Scholarship.

okorobiadimma14 6 / 82 50  
You are advised in your statement to describe how your plan of study relates to development in your sector and country. Please say how, on your return, you will apply your new skills and qualifications, and what outcomes you will hope to achieve. This could usefully be related to a national development priority or objective. Please also suggest how the impact of the potential benefits of your work might be measured.

Budget of Recovery and Growth

Acquiring a master's degree in Environmental Sustainability and Green Technology is a timely achievement in my career with respect to Nigeria's quest to recover from economic recession. Thus, the interdisciplinary nature of my plan of study provides relevant skills and technical expertise in broad sustainability themes including environmental technologies, biological sciences, project management, and environmental policy and politics. Accordingly, these areas of knowledge are vital in the acceleration of non-oil revenue generation in my country.

After 3 to 4 decades of sole dependence on foreign exchange earnings from crude oil, the recent global fall in oil price has prompted Nigerian government to revert to agricultural sector with a view to promoting economy diversification. Undoubtedly, the diversification plan captured in the 2017 National Budget, tagged 'Budget of Recovery and Growth', will reinvigorate gross expenditure on research and development of agriculture to a greater extent. However, more is required than just allocation of funds to farming, especially with regard to harnessing the vast agricultural biomass in development of novel forms of renewable energy to promote environmental sustainability; a priority in the UK's development mandate for Nigeria.

Huge investment on agriculture results in proportional generation of municipal wastes and plant materials. As part of my plan of study at Keele University, my research project will assess the large scale production and purification of biogas from biological wastes and other biological sources. Nigeria is endowed with vast arable land for constant generation of bioresources which can be utilized in bio-fuel technology programme. Extensive production of biogas will not only create new jobs across the nation whilst replacing fossil fuel and reducing carbon emission, but also foster equity in localization of the biogas plant thereby establishing regional energy generation policy in the nation. Consequently, inter-ethnic civic unrest will reduce drastically and price of goods and services will no longer be controlled by gasoline pump price. Ultimately, United Nation's Kyoto agreement will successfully be implemented in Nigeria.

Subsequent to my return home, I have plans to collaborate with the UK established West Africa Science and Innovation Network (SIN) and my UK alma mater to develop evidence based policy that will further the establishment of Biogas Generation Technology (BGT) Programme in Nigeria. At the outset, I intend to secure a position at the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology as an Environmental Biotechnologist. This position will avail me the privilege, and in collaboration with SIN and Keele University, to file proposals to appropriate offices regarding BGT Programme.

As a partner in £7m 'green gas' project in the UK, Keele University's collaboration in BGT Programme in Nigeria will not only facilitate federal government's approval of the programme, but also launch new formal partnership between the UK and Nigeria with regard to research and innovation. In the long run, political interests in Niger Delta region due to crude oil wells will gradually fade away on the account of BGT Programme. Increase in job opportunities in sustainability sector and improved per capita income would indicate the impact of my work.
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
In this essay there are several main points that have to be delivered clearly in the statement, as follows:

- describe how your plan of study relates to development in your sector and country.
- how, on your return, you will apply your new skills and qualifications,
- what outcomes you will hope to achieve.
- The outcomes should be related to a national development priority or objective.
- suggest how the impact of the potential benefits of your work might be measured.

Your essay is indeed a well-written one. You have clearly answered each prompt in your essay. I like the way you arrange your ideas coherently. Yet, you have to be ready if several statements on your essay are questioned by the reviewer. Thus, I think that when you write 'I intend to secure a position...' makes me think that 'what if your are rejected by Federal Ministry of Science and Technology?' What would happen? Will you just surrender? because I reckon that becoming an Environmental Bio-technologist is not an easy goal even though you have graduated from reputable university in the UK. Somehow, you need to make the reviewer really sure that your plan is more likely going to work.

Hope this helps :)

Home / Scholarship / Plan of study, tight connected with the economy of Nigeria - Commonwealth Shared Scholarship.