My professional career plan is to become an expert in Civil engineering profession

Delexjohn 1 / 2  

QUESTION ON IMMEDIATE AND LONGER CAREER PLANS

Chevening is looking for individuals who have a clear post-study career plan. Please outline your immediate plans upon returning home and your longer term career goals.

My professional career plan is to become an expert in Civil engineering profession by obtaining theoretical knowledge and practical know-how from university of my postgraduate study, internship and job experiences, and also, daily life challenge. On returning home, my immediate goals are; to secure a working placement in any of the reputable Civil/Structural engineering company to acquire professional experience and put me in a forward-moving company with solid performance and future projections in my chosen career. As part of a team, I want to add value and continue to grow the company to actualise my long term goals. In the long run, I want to hold more responsibility, lead teams of engineers and finally achieve a senior managerial position where tactical decision will be taken on critical issues, issues that matters to the company progress.

Also, my expertise, social skills and dedication to job will of course help to alleviate and stand out from a fresh postgraduate engineer without professional skills and experience into the role of capable engineer and professional manager. Having acquire required professional experience that will ground me a professional membership of registered engineer (Nigeria Society of Engineers, NSE and Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria, COREN among other relevant professional bodies) in the field of engineering practice, I would take chance to acquire the membership certificate going through the various workshops and organised trainings by the said bodies, this will greatly influence my advancement in the body of engineering profession.

In my quest for knowledge, I have developed a strong desire to articulate both theoretical frameworks with practical reality in my career. This will help evoke deep interest and help develop innate creative talent, helping young and like-minded graduate overcome professional challenges and shaping their perspective to a more professional approach of tackling critical issues while practicing.

In actualizing the vision of the UK Chevening scholarship award in my home country, I would connect with chevening objectives in alleviating professional ignorance in young graduates. My future goals aimed at addressing the issue. However, after gaining sufficient years of experience and done serving in various capacities in different companies, I want to provide opportunities for future generation by dedicating myself to education, contributing to the body of knowledge and career development as lecturer and a researcher in the construction and building industries.

Also, I want to be organising a quarterly training platform where intensive guidership and insight on engineering matters shall be dealt with and answers heart burning questions. Working alongside with other future leaders, influencers, and decision-makers in fulfilling the FCO objectives. This shall be a non-profit base.

Conclusively, poor structural design knowledge and bad construction techniques etc. which has resulted over the years in continual structural menace in my home country can be addressed and I strongly believe this shall be a good platform to exercise my professional expertise and contribute my quota to the transformation agenda of nation building in line with the agenda of Nigeria government, President Muhammadu Buhari administration.
henricuspria 4 / 9 2  
I think your essay should be more concerned with an actual strategic points on what you actually wanted to do rather that the general idea of what you should have do. Try to limit you plan to a five year plan.
OP Delexjohn 1 / 2  
@henricuspria
I thank you for your time.
Olatoyan, you need to have a stronger and more confident voice in this essay. Your presentations are full of "I want" statements. These should be "I will" statements in order to show a believe and conviction in your future career plans. When you speak of wanting to help the future engineers, go a step further and have a possible plan of execution for a potential project.

The Post Study plan is the culmination of all the 3 previous essays that you have written. How will you, as a newly educated person, lead your country forward through your career? How will you utilize your old and new networks in the implementation of these career plans? More importantly, you need to be specific about how the FCO will be able to help you establish a plan. What does the FCO stand for in the Engineering field? What sort of project can you develop (tentatively) that can establish a working relationship on 3 fronts; you- Chevening-UK government.

Develop the essay to have a far stronger voice, more definite plans, and a 3 way cooperation channel that can prove that you truly are going to be heading home to make effective changes in your country. The elements exist in this draft, you just need to build on the proposals by turning them into possible, implementable, and sustainable plans that can strengthen the essay.
OP Delexjohn 1 / 2  
I thank you so much for the owsome contribution. I will work on the points.

Home / Scholarship / My professional career plan is to become an expert in Civil engineering profession