Racism, Injustice (others were treated unfairly)

chuncky13 8 / 13  
Briefly describe a situation in which you felt that you or others were treated unfairly or were not given an opportunity you felt you deserved. Why do you think this happened? How did you respond? Did the situation improve as a result of you response?

On my way to a thanksgiving dinner at my grandmother's house, I received a phone call from my grandmother asking me to stop at a store on my way down to purchase a package of instant gravy. I agreed and searched for a store that was open on thanksgiving day. I search for maybe half an hour until I found Sweetbay Supermarket.

I rushed to find a parking spot. Me and my mother speed walked our way across the parking lot until we are panting as we walk inside the store. The toasty store gave off a sense of pleasure the instant we walked in. We scan the top of the store, hunting for the sign for the gravy ail. Sprinting up and down the ails, we eventually find the package of gravy. What made it even better was that the cans were buy one and get one free.

We reached the never-ending lines that reached the back of the store. Slowly we got closer to the cash register, yet, the line stayed just as long as when we entered the store. Thirty-five minutes later we were second in line when we noticed something was wrong with the way the cashier was looking at us. She was giving us rude looks and making awkward sounds like sucking her teeth at us.

When it was our turn to checkout, the cashier was very short with us, avoiding conversation and eye contact. She rung the two packages of gravy up. The cans came out to be regular priced. My mother simply asked her if she could check again because we saw that they were buy one get one free.

The next thing you know, the cashier is screaming and cursing her way from the cash register. She said "I can't handle this, these immigrants are getting on my nerves. THEY need to go back to where they came from." I watched her go insane as my mother retaliated with "What did you just say?". They were in a huge argument. I was trying to calm down my mother, but since that didn't work I went to the costumer service desk and demanded for the manager. He fled out of my his when he heard the news. The manager was appalled. He approached the cashier dragged her out of the store and fired her.

In my opinion, this happened because obviously she was racist, but what set her over the top were the factors involved such as: having to work on a holiday and the store being so busy. But there was no excuse for actions. Looking back at the situation, there was no other way to handle that would have helped the problem. My response enhanced the Supermarket, now they don't have such a rude, ignorant, or racist worker with a bad attitude.
Lydia 6 / 13  
You have a good and adjusting essay going here. I think you need more attitude in the essay and more similies and metaphors
lowcal 12 / 27  
it's good that you grasped a situation that you want to talk about. make sure that you work on your syntax, vary in using long and short sentences.

He fled out of my his when he

also, did you mean office over here?

My mother and me [or My mother and I] speed walked our way across the parking lot until we are panting as we walk inside the store.

hoped i helped, good luck!
...my grandmother asking me to stop at a store on my way down to purchase a package of instant gravy. (I crossed out unnecessary words. The reader will know you were on your way down.)

Me and m My mother and I speed-walked our way across...

Sprinting up and down the ails, we eventually found the package of gravy.

now they don't have such a rude, ignorant, or racist worker with a bad attitude.

Yes, and maybe the experience will help that cashier to realize that her attitude is not acceptable in 20th century society. Did this happen in America? I can't believe some people still think that way...

Home / Scholarship / Racism, Injustice (others were treated unfairly)