'suicide among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender' - treated unfairly

Nana12 3 / 12  
prompt:Briefly describe a situation in which you felt that you or others were treated unfairly or were not given an opportunity you felt you deserved. Why do you think this happened? How did you respond? Did the situation improve as a result of your response?

Researchers have found that suicide among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth (LGBT) is comparatively higher than among the general population. Many high school students who are gay lack the social support much needed in these delicate and emotionally grueling teenage years. Many high schools do not offer support groups for these individuals and parents are often oblivious of what their children are going through. These students are in constant fear of being taunted or harassed. Some would rather conform to the norm, than be disliked for the sexual preferences. High school can be some of the worst years for these students; they have virtually no support and lack the abilities to deal with these social problems, thus, turning to suicide as a solution to their problems.

I know how difficult life is when you are gay because, I am homosexual and accepting my sexuality was very difficult. All of my life, society has taught me that being gay is wrong. However, in my teenage years, I knew that there was something different about my sexual preferences. I denied it for many years, I practically lived in fear. When I revealed my sexuality to a close friend, she betrayed me and told everyone I knew. Many of my friends abandoned me; I was alone, without any support or understanding. I have experienced difficulty in finding new friends and people who were accepting of my homosexuality. I was talked about, criticized, and ridiculed, by many people I knew. Many of my peers were in fear of even being in the locker-room with me while they were undressing. As a result of this, I kept my sexuality hidden from my new friends.

My junior year, I finally accepted myself. I was fed up with pretending to be someone who I wasn't. I came out to everyone I knew and not surprisingly, I lost many new friends; however, I was shocked to see that many of my friends became accepting. I even influenced some of my peers to reveal their sexuality to their friends. At first many people behaved awkward around me, especially my basketball teammates, but with time they became comfortable around me. It felt so good to finally be honest with others, but most importantly honest with myself.

This experience with my sexual identity has been a rough process, but I learned that in order to have others accept me; I need to be more accepting of others and their personal beliefs. Everyone is different and this is what contributes to the diversity of our world. We learn from people of different cultures and religions, but in order to learn from others we must be willing and unbiased.
soufianelaouad 3 / 29  
Amazing Work ! I am a high school student who wants to pursue Electrical or mechanical engineering at Purdue Next year.
Please look at the Last essay I just posted its about engineering and my future
thank you
unwana11 4 / 13  
2nd paragraph

I feel this is better-->>
I know how difficult life is when you are gay because, I am homosexual and accepting my sexuality was very difficult. All of my life, society has taught me that being gay is wrong. However, in my teenage years, I knew that there was something different about my sexual preferences. I denied it for many years, I practically lived in fear. When I revealed my sexuality to a close friend, she betrayed me and told everyone I knew. Many of my friends abandoned me; I was alone, without any support or understanding. I have experienced difficulty in finding new friends and people who accept my homosexuality. I was talked about, criticized, and ridiculed, by many people I knew. Many of my peers were in fear of even being in the locker-room with me while they were undressing. As a result of this, I kept my sexuality hidden from my new friends.

3rd paragraph
My junior year, I finally accepted myself.

Correction
In my junior year, i finally accepted myself.
OP Nana12 3 / 12  
Thanks (;

Home / Undergraduate / 'suicide among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender' - treated unfairly