STUDY IN THE UK - CHEVENING - SUITABLE UNIVERSITIES AND NON-ACADEMIC LEARNING

henricuspria 4 / 9 2  

Studying in the UK Question

Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future.

*Please do not duplicate the information you have entered on the work experience and education section of this form (minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)\

In 2015, I was graduated with BA degree from English Literature Universitas Gadjah Mada, one of the best university in Indonesia. Despite my education background, I am currently working and involved in many film festival/filmmaking activities. As a no film student, I realize that my education background is having its own distinct touch in my process of creating films. However, I still need to learn further about these two field I am currently working at. Therefore, I choose three universities that I believe will help me to build my capacity on both fields. After winning a prestigious international award in Cannes Film Festival, I feel the needs to enhance my capacity to compete at this higher stage of my career.

My first choice is Literature and Cinema course by University of Essex. This course fits my aim to develop my knowledge on the relation on both fields. In addition, even though this is a course by the Literature department, it still offers some practices on filmmaking, which I never learnt formally. This way, I can both enhance my knowledge in academic discourse as well as my skills in filmmaking.

Screenwriting for Film and Television course at The Royal Holloway University of London becomes my second choice as it provides a strategic knowledge to enhance my screenwriting skills. I have developed my basic skills in writing since my enrollment in my BA. This time I want to specify my skill on writing for film or television, moreover as I am currently developing my first feature-length film script. I hope by studying this course I will be able to write good scripts to be produced in the upcoming years.

The University of York is my third choice, with its Literature and Cinema course. The course in University of York offers more in-depth discourse between these different yet related fields of studies. Studying here will help me to enhance my critical thinking for this discourse, as well as my research skills. This particularly important as I also aspire to become a teacher. This study will help me grow as a good academician, by indulging myself with many scholarly researches and seminars presented in this course.

Aside from studying in the university, I also want to learn from local communities or any other organizations which concerned with the development of cinema in the UK. I think this is as important as studying in the class because I can also learn about British culture and society. As a Chevening Scholar, I will utilize all the privileges offered to me to the fullest to study. I want to become an agent of culture and the bridge between Indonesia and the UK. By having a better understanding of British culture, I hope I can create a mutual projects/program that will benefited for both countries cultural enrichments.
bmKimmy 3 / 4 1  
@henricuspria

...one of the best university universities in Indonesia.

... these two fields I am currently working at.

Therefore, I choose three universities ... my capacity on in both fields.

... knowledge on the relation on relationship ...

This is particularly important ...

... organizations which are concerned with ...

I hope I can create a mutual projects/programs that will benefited for be of benefit to both countries countries' cultural enrichments.
Henri, do not duplicate the Cannes information. You already used that information in the leadership and influencing essay so you cannot mention it again in this essay. The instructions say you cannot duplicate information and that is exactly what you are doing by referring to the Cannes win yet again in this essay. Replace that instead with a reference to how you learned about film making since you did not graduate with a film degree. Then explain how your professional experience has helped you prepare for these courses even though you are not a film major. Now, your university course choices are strong, but your line of reasoning is weak. You need to come up with more interesting and believable reasons as to why you would want to enroll in each course. You need to show how these courses will help enhance your future skills with an explanation of what you hope to learn and how you hope to use it.

Home / Scholarship / STUDY IN THE UK - CHEVENING - SUITABLE UNIVERSITIES AND NON-ACADEMIC LEARNING