Studying in the UK Chevening Scholarships - Data science careers

daigonzur 2 / 3  

Studying in the UK

Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future. Please enter new information and examples here and not duplicate the information you have entered on the work experience and education section of this form (minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

As an environmental engineer my biggest challenge is to provide sustainable solutions to emerging environmental problems. My mathematical reasoning and number facility, and specially, the lack of environmental knowledge that describes the state and trends in the environment of Bolivia, motivates me to pursued a Master Degree that combines high technical knowledge and a good mathematical background with social, environmental and political engagement. I would love to learn how to model and simulate real-life cases using computer programming and simulation techniques to evaluate sustainable solutions and adaptable policies to the decision-making process.

My preferred course is Data Science (Environmental Analytics) at University of Manchester. My work experience as an environmental monitoring and chemical background showed me that the environmental conditions generates more diverse sets of interrelated data than any other field. This course is the only Data Science course in UK that focuses on environmental analysis and Environmental Intelligence, I would love to integrate multiple complex data sources, and create tools that enable informed decision making in my society.

MSc Applied Social Data Science at University of Exeter is my second choice, with specialization in environment. This is also a multidisciplinary mathematical based program, with more emphasis on policy analysis. In developing countries like mine, the complexity of environmental problems is growing at an exponential rate, is highly unlikely that these problems will be resolved without a representative action from local government, NGOs or citizen action. I am fully aware of the importance of political action combined with scientific guidelines to address these problems, and with this specialization, I would like to prepare myself with all the tools, expertise and capacity necessary to develop model-based solutions and, additionally be able to give relevant policy to address the causes of these environmental problems.

MSc Mathematical Modelling (Climate Science) at University of Exeter is my third choice. For my thesis project I worked on a research that used statistical significance to develop a mathematical model that relates average levels of air pollutants with health effects considering the influence of meteorological variable in four XXX cities. The research was guided by Professor XXX, Bolivia's most prominent air pollution researcher, and, it was the first Bolivian research that addressed air pollution problems from this perspective. Considering Bolivia's climatic and topographic diversity, results were distinctive. The research was published in the science and technology magazine of the university "X", and it continually presented in national and international air congresses by the professor L. After this research experience I exhibited the importance of developing specifical mathematical models for every region, and also realized of the lack of trained professionals with the necessary knowledge to develop this type of research in terms of air pollution and climate models in Bolivia. With this master experience I would like to gain expertise from Exeter Climate Systems Centre and gain specialist knowledge in Climate Science and learn techniques to successfully simulate a range of mathematical phenomenon, so I can provide accurate research that contributes the government to keep developing services and policies for society.
You are over the word count by 4 words. That is because you over expanded on the discussion of your third course. The overall essay has an imbalance of information presented because, while you did provide your professional background at the start, you failed to properly represent your undergraduate foundation that would be helpful or considerable towards making you a successful student in the chosen masters course. You did that too much for the third choice university. Balance it out. Provide the undergraduate foundation for each course. Let the educational background help support your application. Right now, your high interest in these courses are not balanced enough with your actual ability or potential to complete the course.

Home / Scholarship / Studying in the UK Chevening Scholarships - Data science careers