Unanswered [0] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Home / Scholarship4

The things that I consider before choosing the university of my future study. Australia Scholarship

How did you choose your proposed course and institution*? - Essay for Australia Awards Scholarship

My road to TESOL

I am planning on taking a master degree in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). It is suitable perfectly with my background which is English language teaching and English literature. There are some things that I did to find out the details of universities that I am going to choose. I collected the information about the universities mainly from visiting their website on the Internet and other websites such as scholarship and alumni blogs. Furthermore, I visited an education fair near my hometown to gain more information related to my study. I also gathered useful input from my friends and lecturers who are currently pursuing their study in Australia.

Here are the things that I consider before choosing the university of my future study. First, the duration should be at least one and a half years since I want to deepen my knowledge about the field that I am learning, and longer study period will help me sharpen my English. Second, the institution should provide the courses that I am willing to learn which are more practical rather than research based since that is not my specialty about English teaching practices. More specifically, I am looking for the courses such as second language acquisition, language curriculum design, teaching methodologies, grammar, writing and pronunciation teaching, technology in English learning and psycholinguistics. In addition, if the program provides courses related to psychology, teaching English for students who have special needs or autistic children and teaching internship will be a greater benefit.

After I listed the universities that participate in Australia Award Scholarship which provide TESOL program, I screened them with the criteria that I previously set. In the end, I found two most universities which are the closest to the criteria; Queensland University of Technology and Flinders University.

To @holt
My comment "I believe I didn't write that, are you sure you are referring the right thing?" on my last thread was actually addressed to someone else, not you, but it seemed that you didn't read the tag that I used. Don't misunderstand me, you've been a great help since I joined EF.

Hi Dany. Actually, the response did not appear with ba tag on my end which is why I responded to it. There must've been a system glitch on our end. No worries. I'm glad to always be of help. As for this essay, I've got a number of suggestions for you. Let's start with how you chose the universities you would be interested in attending. The criteria you set right now is more commonplace than personal. Don't go for the obvious, always aim for a personal list of reasons for your criteria in order to show a keen interest in Australian universities. Next, please double check your capitalization requirements for the formal classes you wish to attend as those must be capitalized as a proper noun representation. Finally, the prompt asks you to present one university choice , not two. So you have to justify just one university choice with the complete criteria that you used to choose this particular university. Personal, rather than common reason are again, more impressive in that discussion.
Hi @Holt
Sorry for the late reply since I've just recovered from my sickness.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I forgot to mention that I am told to choose tow universities as the requirement of the application. In addition, the maximum characters is only 2000. Here is my revised version, however, it contains additional 347 characters which I find confusing to erase. I added my preferences related to the weather, the specific things from the uni such as the courses they offer and the partnership with other institutions in Indonesia.

I am planning on taking a master degree in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). It is suitable perfectly with my background which is English language teaching and English literature. There are some things that I did to find out the details of universities that I am going to choose. First, I collected the information about the universities mainly from visiting their website on the Internet and other websites such as scholarship and alumni blogs. Then, I visited an education fair near my hometown to gain more information related to my study. I also gathered useful input from my friends and lecturers who are currently pursuing their study in Australia.

Here are my considerations for choosing the university of my future study. First, the duration should be at least one and a half years since I want to deepen my knowledge about the field that I am learning and sharpen my English. Second, I am looking for the universities that provide Second Language Acquisition, Language Curriculum Design, Teaching Methodologies, Teaching Grammar, Writing and Pronunciation and Technology in English Learning courses. In addition, if the program provides courses related to psychology, teaching English for students who have special needs or autistic children and teaching internship will be a greater benefit.

After I listed the universities that participate in Australia Award Scholarship which provide TESOL program, I screened them with the criteria that I previously set. Then, I found two universities which are the closest to the criteria; Queensland University of Technology and Flinders University. Queensland University of Technology by far is the only university that offers courses that focus on teaching or dealing with children who are autistic and children with special needs. Its location in Brisbane which weather is not too cold is also perfect since I cannot be exposed to cold weather due to my health issue. On the other hand, Flinders University has at least two courses related to psychology in language teaching. It also has done lots of partnerships with many Indonesian big universities such as Gadjah Mada University, University of Indonesia, Surabaya University and Airlangga University. Its location which is not too crowded is perfect for my study and it supports me to explore more of the local culture.
04:12am   #4
You can start meeting the word count by removing the long form meaning of TESOL. That brings your word count down to 2302 characters immediately. Since the reviewer is already familiar with TESOL and its long form meaning, you don't need to repeat it in the essay. Instead of saying "Here are my considerations...First..." You can shorten it further by saying "I chose my universities based upon...the duration of ... ", that automatically becomes 2248 characters. Remove the term "Second" and you get 2240 words. Now, to totally bring down the word count, in the next paragraph remove the first complete sentence plus the word "Then," which gives you a total word count of 2068. Remove the term "On the other hand" and you get 2049 words. Say "It has done partnership with Indonesian universities" so the word count goes down even further to 2032. If you use just the first 2 universities in the list instead of all 2, you finally come down to 1987 words. Well below the minimum while preserving the message and information of your essay.

Home / Scholarship /