"adoration for reporting, journalism, film" - Vires, Artes, Mores Florida State Essay

katimccabe 1 / -  
FSU prompt: For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life (in 500 or less words).

In my four years of high school, I've found my way to create who I am. For me, "artes" is the best word to describe my talents. My first year in high school I was handed a mic and a camera and told that I needed to cover a breaking news story for my school. No direction, no prepping, just me being given my future- this was my first encounter with television broadcast and from then on the television studio was where I came to call home for the next 4 years. I began excelling at broadcast competitions and blowing away the other teams with my co-writing of short films. The art and skill needed for my schools television program has given me a positive outlet to express myself and tell the world a story through my lens. In this way, "artes" is reflected in my life through my passion for the art of a camera and the craft of being a broadcast television anchor.

My adoration for reporting developed in my childhood, when my mother, who worked in sales at a corporate hotel, brought me to work with her. I began talking and listening eagerly and writing short stories about what I saw and heard. What began as an infatuation with words and language quickly developed into a huge smile and love for being on camera. My desire to showcase myself through film influences my daily life not only in my career path, but in my ability to be an out-going people person with great skill in conversation.

The camera lens has been a large influence in my life. My take on life has forever been changed from experiencing the view of a reporter. An in depth story with live coverage and a huge 30 second spot is what I dream of. Having taken every digital media production class in my school and now residing as director of my schools morning broadcast program, I feel as if I have enough backing to continue with my dream of becoming a broadcast reporter. My skills of editing have taken my team and I to competitions winning 2nd place in a state film festival and prizes for many county awards. Without a doubt, film study reflects the skillful characteristics of "artes" in my life.

Attending Florida State University would give me an opportunity to develop my broadcast skills and love for film, as I would like to pursue broadcast journalism as an occupation in my life. The beautiful campus and the "always something happening" environment would provide a creative outlet for my view of the lens. "Artes" is an extremely important aspect of my life. It inspires me to be creative and to show the world who I am in my own unique way, a daily way of life for me.
bbtl05 3 / 4  
In my four years of high school, I've found my way to create who I am.Reword. Example, I've figured out who I am For me, "artes"(explain what artes is) is the best word to describe my talents. My first year in high school, I was handed a mic and a camera and told that I needed to cover a breaking news story for my school. No direction, no prepping, just me being given my future. This was my first encounter with a television broadcast and from then on, the television studio was where I came to call home for the next 4 years. I began excelling at broadcast competitions and blowing away(reword, too informal) the other teams with my co-writing of short films. The art and skill needed for my school's television program has given me a positive outlet to express myself and tell the world a story through my lens. In this way, "artes" is reflected in my life through my passion for the art of a camera and the craft of being a broadcast television anchor.

My adoration for reporting developed in my childhood(Confusing wording) , when my mother, who worked in sales at a corporate hotel, brought me to work with her. I began eagerly talking, listening, writing short stories about what I saw and heard. What began as an infatuation with words and language quickly developed into a huge love for being on camera. My desire to showcase myself through film influences my daily life not only in my career path, but in my ability to be an outgoing people person with great skill in conversation.

Attending Florida State University would give me an opportunity to develop my broadcast skills and love for film, as I would like to pursue broadcast journalism as an occupation in my life. The beautiful campus and the "always something happening"constantly busy environment would provide a creative outlet for my view of the lens. "Artes" is an extremely important aspect of my life. It inspires me to be creative and to show the world who I am in my own unique way, a daily way of life for me.

You need to explain what artes is. I am still not sure. It would really add a lot to your essay. You do a good job of showcasing your achievements.

Home / Undergraduate / "adoration for reporting, journalism, film" - Vires, Artes, Mores Florida State Essay