Affinity for mathematics - Why Waterloo

GyroZepelli 1 / -  

Why Waterloo?

Growing up, I have always had an affinity for mathematics and its real-life applications. This innate curiosity and fascination with numbers and their stories is why I have applied for a degree in Computer Science and ECE at Waterloo. The Faculty of Math & Engineering would give me the tools necessary to create systems and software to tackle problems I am passionate about, and to help others.

As someone who learns through action, be it tinkering with a Raspberry Pi or coding a music streaming API, Waterloo's Co-op would offer me invaluable guidance and opportunities to hone my craft. Through programs like Velocity and GreenHouse, I can utilize my knowledge and experience gained into innovative ideas that challenge and engage me. Considering these factors, alongside my passion and dedication to STEM, lead me to believe that I would be an excellent fit for Waterloo's CS and ECE programs.

What changes would you all suggest I make to the essay to make it more distinct than other applications?
The passion for the actual Math application is missing. The reviewer could View this response as lacking in actual content but full of possibilities. The expectation that reviewers have these days of their potential students is to show a great deal of potential based upon specifics. That means the student has a plan for his future in drect relation to his university studies. The candidate should have the ability to relate his real world plans with the incubator system of Waterloo. It is this lack of actual and applicable vision that hinders this response. It comes across as empty rather than a distinct response. It fails to pop and be memorable in any way. By the way you need to use a separate response for each major you have chosen to apply to. A collective response will not work.

Home / Undergraduate / Affinity for mathematics - Why Waterloo