"the application of a theory" - Johns Hopkins - why I choose to major in engineering

yeahtshirt 2 / 3  
Write a brief essay in which you respond to the following question.
(freshman applicants only): Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. On this supplement, we ask you to identify one or two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? (If any past courses or academic experiences influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.)"

I believe that the significance of a theory lies on its value in the application. That why I want to major in engineering-- to apply the theory to practice, to make the things more advanced, accessible and convenient, and to make a better world.

Through the education I received in China, I have learnt numerous formulas and theories. While a large number of those learnt form books and classes are inevitably forgotten during the long time since they were firstly taught, only those I have experienced in person through experiments or modeling or application always stay fresh in my mind. Application also deepens the understanding of an abstract theory. And wandering in the history, I find out numerous cases that applications helped to discover and rectify the mistakes in theory and thus promoted the development of science and society.

If you ask me to recite a certain physics law, just like what I have to do in many school tests, in many cases I cannot recite precisely. But does it matter? As long as I understand the meanings of the law and know how to apply it in corresponding situations, I believe I needn't be restricted by those "standard answer". Yes, maybe there are some others get higher scores than mine in exams, but in the experiment or modeling classes, I'm always the best. Scores cannot objectively and accurately measure my real capability.

And that's why the Indian Bollywood movie 3 idiots is one of my favorite. As an engineering student in the Imperial College of Engineering, one of the best colleges in India, the protagonist Rancho shows not only incredible talent for engineering, but also great passion for study. While learning, he never cares about conventional obsessions; he hates the tedious definitions; his answers are always "unorthodox", but creative and effective. It is his love for engineering that later makes him the most prestigious inventor in the world. He has so many advantages which an engineering student should have that for me, Rancho is a paragon that I will learn from.

I believe anyone major in engineering should have passion and love for this discipline-- it is the most important, and he or she should always have the courage to get off the beaten track and innovate. I think I have possessed of all these spirits. So, now I am ready.

any criticisms are welcome thx
look416 3 / 9  
quite good essay, but in my opinion, it seems to be a little bit short, why dont try to add some of your extracurricular experience that can actually be a help in your pursue in engineering course?

try relate what you have participate in your high school and i believe that can bring a quite good perception from the officer.

edited: just try to push your essay up to around 500 words not more or less, since they just want you to have a brief essay.
OP yeahtshirt 2 / 3  
Thanks for your advice.
But since this is a short answer question, there is a words limitation of 250 words maximum.
iceui2 - / 70  
This is secretly a "Why Johns Hopkins" essay. So be sure to insert things about why you want to study engineering at JHU.
nishabala 4 / 91  
Oh wow. You will not believe how thrilled I was when you said you liked 3 Idiots=D...

I believe that the significance of a theory lies on its value in the application.
Unlike an upcoming comment, don't start with an 'I believe'... it's weaker than just delivering a line. And, as a potential engineering major, that line isn't particularly controversial. But try to make it 'practical use' or 'functionality' or 'benifit to the human race' cause pure science has a role too. Just a suggestion.

formulas-> The plural of 'formula' is 'formulae'.

'If you ask me to recite a certain physics law, just like what I have to do in many school tests, in many cases I cannot recite precisely. But does it matter? As long as I understand the meanings of the law and know how to apply it in corresponding situations, I believe I needn't be restricted by those "standard answer". Yes, maybe there are some others get higher scores than mine in exams, but in the experiment or modeling classes, I'm always the best. Scores cannot objectively and accurately measure my real capability.'

I understand where you come from, but that comes off just a wee bit pretentious, like you're dictating the education system. Soften it by clearly stating that this is all your view about physics/engineering education.

Minor changes, though. I really good essay that demonstrates your passion on the whole!
Good luck!

And, could you check out my W&M essay?:)
nishabala 4 / 91  
Oh, and I just noticed: 'Indian Bollywood' is redundant, Bollywood is Indian and everyone known it:P. 'Hindi' would work too.
OP yeahtshirt 2 / 3  
Thank you.
I have revised my essay according to your advice. It seems much better now.

Home / Undergraduate / "the application of a theory" - Johns Hopkins - why I choose to major in engineering