Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"I never approach Mathematics differently" - Johns Hopkins

leon_joel 4 / 2  
Write a brief essay in which you respond to the following question: Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts & Sciences and Engineering. On this application, we ask you to identify one of two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose. (If any past courses or academic experiences influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.)

Like many Ghanaian students, I never approach Mathematics differently. I had grown up to dislike the subject greatly. If you are wondering if he dislikes the subject so much, then why is he intending to major in it? Well, a lot changed when I gained admission into the senior high school so did my abhorrence for Mathematics. As many others had already planned what they will be doing in the higher institution, I did too but not mathematics. Until my acute interest in Mathematics, I had always planned of studying medicine in the university until my dreams were shuttered when I got into high schools as an Arts student with my intended majors as Elective Mathematics, Economics and Geography. Unlike many others who were able to bolt away from the subject just to escape it, I could not. During my four years as a high school student, I developed a severe interest in the subject that aside economics I will major in mathematics. The presence of good teachers and serious study offered me the necessary skills to approach the subject, which helped me to overcome all mathematical obstacles with ease. With spectacular performances in all my mathematics examinations from the first year indicated so much. At last, I knew I have gained grounds for offering mathematics in the University with extra hands. Looking at how mathematics is needed in so many other courses such as Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Geography and several other to mention a few to solve several problems of inconsistencies, differences, comparisons among others, I can conclude that truly it forms the basics of several other subjects or courses.

Ever since I had the idea of how mathematicians form a significant part of the society, in which I live I have develop a strong passion for the subject and plan to take it as a major in the university. The logical, analytical, inventive and the mere fact that every problem equals an exact figure or variable around the world make the subject so exciting for me to pursue. The outstanding skills acquired from studying topics like geometry, statistics, probability, calculus, trigonometry among others in mathematics, which helps to pose a stand for any mathematic student to blend into several job opportunities has inspire and rekindle the desire in me to offer mathematics as a major in the university.

With the aid of mathematics, I have been able to blend into several other courses like Economics, which is one of my favorites that I would also like to offer, geography, physics and chemistry. The study of Pure Mathematics as a course in the High School has also helped me to tackle problems from different perspectives; hence, equipping me with problem solving abilities.

Considering a university like this which possesses good academic programs, feat and facilities such infrastructural facilities, research departments, serene environment for studies, extracurricular activities, a large platform for diversity which can foster good interpersonal relationship between students and an array of astute lecturers will provide me with the necessary ingredient I need to become what I want to be. I believe it will also provide a firm foundation for future accomplishments and much difficult problem solving abilities. With the skills I will acquire at your school, I believe I will be able to enact solutions to both academic and economical problems faced. I will also be able to fit into many job markets after four years of great knowledge impartation from astute professors in your university.

please help me edit this essay. You can please support me some ideas to improve on this essay. Thank you.

Home / Undergraduate / "I never approach Mathematics differently" - Johns Hopkins