Artist Statement - SAIC (School of the Art Institute of chicago)

Ruan_sds 1 / -  

Artist Statement

Hello there! This is my first prototype of my artist statement to apply to SAIC, and I'm looking for any constructive critiques of it. (English isn't my first language, so sorry for any writing mistake)

I am still exploring what type of photography fits me the best, but the way that I make my photographs is completely based on my feelings about a scene, as a form to express my deepest feelings, but I lack at this primordial part of my art-work, I struggle to pass my feelings through the lenses. Every time when I'm at any place, I start to observe all the environment from multiple points of view in search of something more, as a more meaningful look to always create a strong feeling by a single photo, to connect myself with a specific scene as a goal to take what I consider, a perfect photo.

Photography always been present in my life, but I never noticed it until my 16's when I won a photography competition between my classmates, that led me to realize photography is way more than a simple photo, in reality, it is a combination of a wonderful type of art and is present in every type of media, as a transmission of feelings and meanings.

What inspires me the most at photography is the way that it can connect people with the moment and the future memories that will be storage, making us each time more connected with ourselves and the art of life, bringing us a rush of happiness through a lens and being eternal, because even when we die, it stays as a fresh memory.

Therefore, Photography is what I want for my life and I strongly believe I'm a good candidate to be accepted at the SAIC, because I know that I can see things by many different points of views, and try innovative ways of demonstrating my art. If I sharp my actual skills at SAIC to grow professionally and personally, I'm sure my art will be recognized by its feelings.
Since this is an artist statement, try to develop more insight into how you got your start in photography. Do not start with the inter school competition at once. Use this vehicle to explain how you were first exposed to photography. Why you believe that your experiences have led you to decide on photography as a profession rather than a hobby. Show the reviewer how you have a natural talent for this field. Do not just write a statement at the beginning that you hope explains things. It will be better to show the reviewer your statement through actions instead of telling him. Telling him does no give him a chance to get a better idea of your photography skills and how you have developed it over the years. It defeats the purpose of the artist statement.

Home / Undergraduate / Artist Statement - SAIC (School of the Art Institute of chicago)