'the arts began when I learned how to paint' - Rutgers University

echo5016 6 / 11 1  
This is the essay that I wrote for the personal experience and about my self.

My passion for the arts began when I learned how to paint at the age of five. I feel very fortunate that my family has always believed that the arts should play an important role in raising a child. They have supported me not only financially but also in my decisions regarding my education and future career. Because of their support, I have had the chance to explore the fields I am interested in and have gained access to enormous resources related to the arts.

With my parents' support, I decided to attend art school at age thirteen so that I could improve my painting skills and knowledge of the arts. While at art school, I entered numerous painting competitions, such as those sponsored by the local government, and won many prizes. Because of my diligence and artistic achievements, I was selected as the leading designer of our graduation art exhibition in middle school.

In middle school, I decided to study drama due to my love of movies. Compared to film production, which is also related to drama, I must admit that I love theater design more. I am fascinated by how the atmosphere created in the theater brings a story to life through the power of design, language, emotion, and energy. During eighth grade, I participated in the design of a play, Turandot, and even played one of the roles. To my delight, we won second place in a local English play competition! From this experience, I was keen on working with others to bring a theatrical production to life and deeply enamored by the magical power of theater. I have also been tremendously influenced by the simple, but meaningful, stage design of Chinese operas and the breathtaking performances of Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan, a renowned dance company. Although I have seen Moon Water by Cloud Gate many times, I can always find a new layer of meaning whenever I watch the play. I am especially impressed by the way in which the cultural elements of the East and West are infused in this play.

My love of the arts also extends to music, particularly classical music. I most revered Debussy because of his music speaks. As I listen to it, an image of a conceited and impeccable emperor (as acted by Yul Brynner in the drama, The King and I) emerges in my mind. I have come to realize that music is essential to the elements of theater, just as the stage design represents the spirit of the play.

Although I later chose to attend general high school in preparation for taking the college entrance exam, the arts were never far my mind. Simply put, I could not live without the arts. Despite having a busy schedule in high school, I managed to squeeze in time to read books about painting and to visit galleries. I am truly inspired by the works of great artists, such as those of Paul Gauguin, one of the most influential artists in post-impressionism. The moment I saw his vigorous painting style, my breath was taken away. How powerful his painting is! This is exactly what I dream of pursuing-a career where I can combine beauty and strength in art. Based on my experience and interest in the arts, I believe that I have found a career where I can make my dream come true-a career in a classical theater design.

In addition to pursuing my passion for the arts, I have tried to become a well-rounded person by participating in various activities, such as swimming, by developing my reading and writing skills, and by volunteering in the community. I have found that reading extensively has broadened my horizons and that keeping a journal has sharpened my writing skills. I applied these writing skills in my position as the editor of my high school newspaper for two years. I am also committed to doing community service. I have been volunteering at the local library every weekend, and have served as the bulletin board designer at my high school's library for two years. Helping others has helped me build my self-confidence.

Because of the lack of resources in my home country, and my desire to improve my English, I have decided to study in the United States. Rutgers University is my top choice, because your college offers enormous studies of professional programs, and has many resources with great assistance for international students. Longing to strengthen my production design ability, I'm particularly interested in theater design. And Professor Vickie Esposito's expertise in costume design will assist my study on variety field. Only Rutgers University offers the program that perfectly suits my personal needs and professional goals. Learning at this superb academic institution and interacting with students from diverse backgrounds will undoubtedly fulfill my future goal. Hence, if I have the opportunity to enter your college, I sure will keep trying my limits.

I hope someday that I will be able to make a contribution to my country and make a difference in the arts. Your consideration is much appreciated.
They have supported me not only financially, but also in my decisions regarding my education and future career.

In middle school, I decided to study drama, due to my love of movies.

During eighth grade, I participated in the design of a play,---Maybe this should say 'the set design'? I don't know much about plays, so not sure.--- Turandot, and even played one of the roles.

Because of this experience, I became keen on working with others to bring a theatrical production to life and became deeply enamored by the magical power of theater.

I most revered Debussy because of how his music speaks.

Because of the lack of resources in my home country, ---No comma here.--- and my desire to improve my English, I have decided to study in the United States.

Hence, if I have the opportunity to enter your college, I sure will keep testing my limits.

I hope some day that I will be able to make a contribution to my country and make a difference in the arts. Your consideration is much appreciated.

They'll be lucky to have you as a student! I hope this is helpful!

:)
OP echo5016 6 / 11 1  
Thanks a lot!

It is helpful for me to rewrite it!(and also polish my writing skills!)

Thanks again!
ninosage 2 / 5  
It's good but a short anecdote that portrays the intro may be stronger and draw in the reader more.

Home / Undergraduate / 'the arts began when I learned how to paint' - Rutgers University