Calculus-- What is your favorite class?

kenyaboyfresh 7 / 17  
First of all, thanks for looking at this. Please give me suggestions on how to improve this.
Prompt: What is your favorite class and why? (1500 characters) My essay is 1283 characters.

If I told my Calculus teacher that Calculus was my favorite class, she would be shocked. During a typical day in Calculus, I have a puzzled look on my face and I'm more than likely ripping my hair out, but somehow, I enjoy the challenge. Compared to my previous math classes, Calculus is more technical than mathematical. This means that in Calculus, how you do the same problem changes according to the scenario. For example, the Mean Value Theorem (MVT) and Rolle's Theorem are fundamentally the same, but when it comes to solving the equation, you either set the equation equal to the slope for MVT or zero for Rolle's.

Another reason I like Calculus is because of the learning environment that my teacher provides. She, unlike other teachers, allows us to work in groups in order to help each other understand the concepts. Oftentimes, this approach allows efficient learning because it allows her to review whatever the class as a whole does not understand. Also she is very enthusiastic and eager to answer any questions. I believe that without my teacher, I wouldn't be able to solve calculus problems as well as I can now. As a matter of fact, I am grateful for having Mrs. Ruble because she taught me analytic and problem solving skills which will be necessary in college.
raslacrosse 5 / 5  
I believe that without my teacher, I wouldn't be able to solve calculus problems as well as I can now.<--- I would rephrase the sentence. "My teacher is the reason that I understand Calculus"

Calculus is also my favorite class and I am also grateul for my wonderful teacher. I might also include how Calculus is practical and can be applied to solve everyday problems and how Calculus connects all the math that you have learned up to that point in one beautiful and comprehensive subject.
nicolehardy87 2 / 9  
I wouldn't talk about what the teacher does to make it your favorite class. I would focus more on why you love calculus. For example, (this is true for me) I love how calculus is useful. I am optimizing things all of the time. (I create a function based on pizza sales at my school, optimized for maximum profit, and sold it for $50 to the junior class that was selling pizza at my school.) <---true story Calculus isn't some random collection mathematical principles that get stuffed in my locker. I use them all the time! (I have also optimized a cab ride, minimizing cost of course.) haha. I'm simply saying to put things in context more and I'm sure your essay will turn out great. Calculus is friggen awesome!
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
Hehe, we meet again Brian.

I agree with Nicole in the sense that you shouldn't devote an entire paragraph to the teacher's style of teaching, more focus should be placed on why YOU love CALCULUS.

So if there is any special reason, maybe it challenges you, it tickles your interest - whatever you can elaborate on that more. Otherwise I think it was a good essay just delve deeper into the meat of the

matter & it'll be even better!

During a typical day in Calculus, I have a puzzled look on my face and I'm more than likely ripping my hair out, but somehow, I enjoy the challenge.

Suggestion: A typical day of Calculus would entail me ripping out my hair with that puzzled look on my face. But somehow, I enjoyed the challenge that Calculus posed.

Hope this helps & thanks for the critique!
raza68 5 / 23  
Yup, the guys ahead of me hit it on the spot. Write more about the relationship between your class and you. By the way, Calculus is my favorite class as well :). Good luck and thanks for helping me on my essay!
OP kenyaboyfresh 7 / 17  
REVISED:

During a typical day in Calculus, I have a puzzled look on my face and I'm more than likely ripping my hair out, but somehow, it's my favorite class. Compared to my previous math classes, Calculus is more technical than mathematical. This means that in Calculus, how you do the same problem changes according to the scenario. For example, the Mean Value Theorem (MVT) and Rolle's Theorem are fundamentally the same, but when it comes to solving the equation, you either set the equation equal to the slope for MVT or zero for Rolle's. Furthermore, Calculus offers variety because unlike my other classes where I can memorize key information without necessarily comprehending it, Calculus challenges me to comprehend the diverse reasoning behind every answer. This has helped me build problem solving, discussion, teamwork, and analytic skills through various individual and group assignments.

The main reason I like Calculus is because it's challenging. While there are numerous reasons why Calculus is challenging, I believe the main reason is because of the way it connects all the math concepts I have learned into one beautiful and comprehensive subject. In various instances such as calculating derivatives, Calculus has managed to incorporate Algebra and geometry. This has in turn helped me review old forgotten information such as Surface Area formulas.

I enjoy Calculus because it provides variety which in turn makes it both captivating and challenging.

Home / Undergraduate / Calculus-- What is your favorite class?