Caltech essay: Math and engineering

hern255 13 / 48  
ANY COMMENT OR SUGESTION WILL HELP!
Tell me what do you think about the content, please!
----

Interest in math, science, or engineering manifests itself in many forms. Caltech professor and Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman(1918-1988) explained, 'I'd make a motor, I'd make a gadget that would go off when something passed a photocell, I'd play around with selenium'; he was exploring his interest in science, as he put it, by 'piddling around all the time.' In a page, more or less, tell the Admissions Committee how you express your interest, curiosity, or excitement about math, science or engineering.

Before answering this question, you might ask those around you - family, friends, or teachers - how they see you as a mathematician, scientist or engineer. They may offer insightful observations!

Life without love is nothing.
But many could ask: how do you know when you are in love?
It's simple for those who have experienced it, because love is something that is felt, you can't describe it.
Fortunately, I have the pleasure to talk by my own experience; because in my life, I have felt love in many ways and shapes. Particularly, in these few lines I want to describe two of them: my love for Math and Engineering.

At the age of seven years, I won a Mathematical contest in my school and I represented my department at national level. That was how a teacher noticed my ability in the field. He invited me to attend some of his classes. For several years I took the Math class which corresponded to students three years older than me, which was no problem because my regular classes were in the morning and those were in the afternoon. The surprising thing for me was that not only did I understand everything, but also I enjoyed being there, I was captivated by the things I was learning. Some years later, I entered in a national mathematical program: the "Talented Youth Program of El Salvador". There I found my passion.

I went to classes in this program every Saturday and that activity became one important part in my life.
It was really nice to feel myself comfortable in these fields that many people rejected because of the difficulty. For me they were very interesting, they represented challenges. Sometimes I spent the whole week trying to solve one of those problems for homework. It was an engaging experience.

With the pass of the time my interest only grew and I became more involved in . I was selected to represent my country in some international competitions and I got more involved in the Math world. Now, solving problems has became a common activity in my schedule, I just have to take a book and I start to navigate in a fascinating trip. Because that is Math, you do not need much more than a pencil and a piece of paper, one unsolved and interesting problem, and you are done!

Besides that, I have to talk about my other interest: Engineering. Just as love, is difficult to explain where my interest comes from. But to be an engineer is something I have dreamed since I was a little child. I have always imagined myself as the creator of a really innovating aircraft, as the designer of new technologies to improve them, or as a contributor of a significant solution to an aerospace problem.

This interest has manifested in my life in a more inconspicuous way than Math, I only have what I had learned in internet or see in many documentaries in Discovery Channel.

What most motivates me is that being an engineer, I can also maintain alive my love for Math, because I know it is a big part of that.

This is a dream I feel I have to pursue, a love I have to conquer.
As love, it needs to be nourished; it deserves every kind of effort like going away from my family. But also a love is very rewarding; it gives strength to go on life.

This is real love; I will live it until the end.
---

Thank you so much!
mle2010 7 / 38  
Really great essay.

My only question is if the structure is intentional. It looks like every sentence is a separate paragraph.

"I only have what I have learned from the internet or have see in many documentaries on the Discovery Channel."

Other than that, amazing!

Home / Undergraduate / Caltech essay: Math and engineering