Carnegie Mellon University admission essay

mihirmj 12 / 12  
Prompt: Please submit a one-page, single-spaced essay that explains why you have chosen Carnegie Mellon your particular major(s), department(s) or program(s). This essay should include the reasons why you've chosen the major(s), any goals or relevant work plans and any other information you would like us to know. If you are applying to more than one college or program, please mention each college or program you are applying to. Because our admission committees review applicants by college and programs, your essay can impact our final decision. Please do not exceed one page for this essay.

Although the aesthetic beauties first caught my eye and piqued my interest in Carnegie Mellon, it was the wealth of research opportunities and esteemed undergraduate programs that fueled my desire to one day become a CMU Tartan. Ever since I was a child, I have always been interested in how things worked. When I was younger I simply took things apart and then put them back together, but as I grew older, the internet aided me in my quest to gain knowledge and by attending Carnegie Mellon I will be able to take advantage of their numerous research opportunities.

Involving 85% of the chemistry undergrads, Carnegie Mellon research projects provide opportunities to their students that are not available at most other schools. The research opportunities provided by Carnegie Mellon will help me achieve hands on experience of cutting edge technology in my chosen field of study and will provide me with skills that will better assist me in my future in medicine. I believe that by taking advantage of the numerous research opportunities offered by Carnegie Mellon I will be better prepared for my goal of gaining admission into a MD/PhD program. The research projects that I undertake will also help me demonstrate my eagerness to learn and love for medicine, which I believe, is one of the strongest qualities that I would be able to show on a medical school application.

Of all the schools at Carnegie Mellon, I am specifically interested in attending the Mellon College of Science. The rationale behind my choice is that, in conjunction with a degree in chemistry, I will be able to participate in the Health Professions Program. By participating in the Health Professions Program, I will have access to academic advising that will aid me in my quest to gain admission into medical school and will provide me with various volunteer opportunities. Although I could participate in the Health Professions Program through any of the other schools, I believe that a degree in chemistry will prepare me most efficiently for medical school.

The single fact that had the greatest influence on my decision of attending Carnegie Mellon University was that they have an 85% acceptance into medical school, which is much higher than the national average of 50%, and proved to me the dedication and rigor provided by Carnegie Mellon classes. Another major benefit of attending Carnegie Mellon is the plethora of internships available to students to help prepare them for their future careers. I wish to be involved in various internships throughout my undergraduate years, and with the connections that I will establish through Carnegie Mellon, I will be able to make my dream of attending medical school come true.

The renowned academic prestige of Carnegie Mellon University is the paramount quality it has to offer. From my first visit to the campus, my heart has always been set on Carnegie Mellon for its magnificent college setting and various programs and opportunities it has to offer. With the unsurpassed research opportunities and quality of academic advising provided by the Mellon College of Science, I will be able to make the most of my time as an undergraduate and fulfill all my goals ranging from internships to research and make myself a stronger candidate for a future in medicine.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

You have a great response to the prompt here; you answer all of the facets of the question without tiring out your audience. The only change I would make is to make sure you are capitalizing only the first words of sentences and proper nouns. For instance, "Health Professions Program" shouldn't be capitalized. Overall, a very nice piece. Keep up the hard work!

Best of luck!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / Carnegie Mellon University admission essay