"Challenge of a Clown" - Rutgers Undergraduate Essay

junpark7667 1 / 1  
Good evening, This is the prompt for Rutgers Essay

Essay: Rutgers University is a vibrant community of people with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. How would you benefit from and contribute to such an environment? Consider variables such as your talents, travels, leadership activities, volunteer services, and cultural experiences. Only personal essays submitted via our website will be considered. You may enter a maximum of 3800 characters including spaces.

and here is my essay...
As you read my essay, You will find out why I have so many grammatical mistakes... Feel free to change stuff around and punch this essay around.

Again, I apologize for my terrible grammars and thank you so much for spending time on my essay.
I wish to help people on this website but then again, my english isn't sufficient enough... is there any other way I can help this website?

"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; They're supposed to help you discover who you are" - Bernice Reagon
As an eighteen years old student who came to America at age of 13, I had a time when I had to adjust to a completely different culture and accept completely different groups of people. In my motherland Korea, I was an outgoing student who was not afraid to volunteer first to approach problems and to friends those are in need. I remember when I first came to America so vividly. I was a boy who could not speak English, had no friends, and was afraid to get to know anyone. I thought I will never be able to become a part of American society and achieve the goals I have set for my future. However, one year after my arrival, I have found myself studying, trying with persistency to catch up to my fellow friends.

By second year, I have completed ESL program and entered regular English course. There, my new set of challenges has begun. It was difficult and a pain-staking process to catch up to ordinary classmates due to my insufficient English skill. Did I give up? No, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this essay. I tried my best and along the line, I have succeeded to enter honor English courses. As you see, my life as an immigrant consisted of series of challenges and obstacles but each year, I was able to overcome those obstacles and stretch myself further because I knew and I believed in my capability. Here I am, asking you for another change to test myself. I am used to accepting challenges and I do not hesitate to tackle it. If I become a student of Rutgers University, I will be able to find and redefine myself through new sets of challenges and as always, I will overcome the challenges.

My passion lies in economics which is why I am applying to school of Business. I have learned how to serve a group to make the group better and how to monitor changes in the group to react to it. When I volunteered as a secretary in computer club, my job was to monitor what is going on around the club such as attendance, taking care of members and notify authorities when something goes wrong. I have worked and learned under great student leaders who developed the club from nothing to one of the most famous clubs. I want to improve what I learned from them and become one of the fine leaders. My definition of leadership is not about getting works done through workers' brains but to support and to serve members to complete tasks given with their hearts. As you see, I am challenging myself again to become a leader. From 13 year old Korean boy to one of the leaders, the University of Rutgers will benefit me by giving me another opportunity to challenge myself and another stretch I will gladly tackle.

I have a strong belief that there needs to be a clown who keeps everyone entertained and gives others inspiration to start again. Of course, the clown will be belittled and regarded unimportant but, when the time of hardship comes, the clown is the one who smiles and bring everyone back on their feet. Yes, I have been the clown in my classes and in my high school years. And yes, there were times I was ignored. However, I showed my lacking sides with humble rather than bragging my good sides. I remember when I was in my pre-calculus how the tests were really tough and so many of my friends have failed. I, being the clown, went up to friends and joked around my classmates to comfort them. After that, we were inspired and ready to try again. By accepting me into your college, I will continue being the clown of the society where I can bring unity, entertainment, and inspiration. Also, I will announce and inspire the world how I have conquered my life as an eighteen years old student who came to America at age of 13.
hcdaniel93 2 / 2  
As an eighteen years old student who came to America at age of 13, I had a time when I had to adjust to a completely different culture and accept completely different groups of people. In my motherland Korea, I was an outgoing student who was not afraid to volunteer first, to approach problems, and to help friends those are in need. I remember when I first came to America so vividly. I was a boy who could not speak English, had no friends, and was afraid to get to know anyone. I thought I would never be able to become a part of the American society and achieve the goals I have set for my future. However, one year after my arrival, I have found myself studying, trying with persistency to catch up to my fellow friends.

By second year, I have completed the ESL program and entered regular English course.

I hope this helps
OP junpark7667 1 / 1  
Thank you very much, I really appreciate it

Home / Undergraduate / "Challenge of a Clown" - Rutgers Undergraduate Essay