"From Chess I have learned" - something for pleasure

Shanky 2 / 9  
We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do for the pleasure of it. (*)(100 words or fewer)

At times when I feel addle, for my felicity, I play chess, what appeals me the most. By the allure of the mental acumen required and developed during the game or when sitting in front of that 8x8 board, I breathe easy. I have sprung up my love for chess since 5 and somehow built such a bastion on it that I can judge peoples mentality through their moves or vice-versa. From Chess I have learned the major strategies of setting and achieving long-term goals. These two parts of chess thinking cannot be completely separated, because strategic goals are mostly achieved by the means of tactics, while the tactical opportunities are based on the previous strategy of play.

Is using the word "addle" here right, as its not showing my love for chess?

or m planning to start it with
"chess for me is zest, zest for me is chess"
still i want a better opening.
"or any other fault"
plzzzzzzzz help
subhash_ghosh 11 / 29  
Shanky
Addle - Better use the word listless, or fatigued, something which conveys more of mental fatigue. One more thing is, "Addled" is the correct verb here.

what appeals me the most - you can rephrase this as "a game I am very fond of/enjoy a lot."

Felicity - You can use a proper word as "recreation", felicity does not fit in the context here.

I have sprung up my love for chess since 5 and somehow built such a bastion on it that I can judge peoples mentality through their moves or vice-versa - This comes across as a very superlative statement and vice-versa does not convey anything meaningful here, you can say that - "I became fond of chess since I was 5 years old, and practicing my skills has enabled me to analyse people's thought process and underlying motives in their behavior"
OP Shanky 2 / 9  
vice-versa here implies "moves through der mentality"
shud i write that
subhash_ghosh 11 / 29  
I don't think so, as it does not convey the meaning properly.
OP Shanky 2 / 9  
ok
thank you
are you a moderator?
Put an apostrophe in peoples. Also, I'm not sure if Chess is a proper noun or not, but you capitalized it one time but not others... so check that out.

The essay is written with the complexity of a chess match! That is kind of cool. I do not choose to write that way, because I think people do not really like it. However, you should keep some of it. Just... try to get rid of maybe 2 or the unnecessarily complex words. But bastion is cool!

I think addle is not right there.... At times when I feel addle, for my felicity, I play chess, what the game that appeals the most to me. I was going to make a suggestion, but then I crossed it all out! That first sentence should express the idea that chess puts you in your favorite state of mind. (That will make it fit with the next sentence, about breathing easy.)

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "From Chess I have learned" - something for pleasure