My class teacher who palyed a key role in shaping my character; William & Mary

redrobinson 2 / 3  
William and Mary Supplement: me in 500 words. Comments.

I'm here in the classroom of my favorite teacher, the woman who held a key role in shaping the person I am today, pondering how to approach this task: describing me in 500 words. I look at the walls covered in student paintings, sketches, and inspirational posters. I remember always being fascinated by the dĂŠcor of the walls. In my search for inspiration, the first thing to catch my eye is my mandala: the physical embodiment of my spiritual self. I remember this Humanities assignment well, along with my struggle to come up with what to put on my sun and my shadow side, to choose what I felt accurately represented me.

Within my sun side, my Apollonian self, my outer self, I am like a white, baby owl-young and still learning, one day destined to fly off into the unknown world full of knowledge and experiences. I am like a rose, indulging in the sweetness and beauty of the world; giving all my love, while sometimes letting others pick away at my petals. I am like a hexagon-continuously moving forward, yet sometimes breaking away from my path. I am like a pearl, a unique and one of kind treasure. I am like the pink of a blushed cheek-innocent and gentle, playful and childlike. I am like the flam of candle-passionate, brightening the perspective of others, while burning myself out in the process.

But within my shadow side, my Dionysian self, my inner self, I am like a turtle-an old soul, taking life one step at a time-taking it in for all its worth and all its knowledge. I am like a trunk of an oak tree, strong-willed, determined, and deep-rooted. Paired with the branches of heather and hazel trees, I am always healing, always learning, utilizing both my inner strengths and weaknesses. I am like an acute triangle, small in size but part of a bigger whole, a bigger equation, yet still incomplete in finding my own solution. I am like coal, hard and stubborn, yet meant for a meaningful purpose. I am like the wind-soft as a whisper, sometimes unnoticed, but also moving forward. Cool, calming, and refreshing.

When my teacher assigned me this task, the task of choosing what animal, shape, or color represents the person I am, these were my answers, and in some ways, these statements are still true. This mandala, representing infiniteness, symbolizes what I thought myself at the beginning of this year. But like wind, I am always changing course. I don't know where I will go or what I will do next. Will I always possess the dual nature of a rose, gentle and hazardous, or will I become a lotus, relaxed-resting upon the surface of the currents, letting them take the lead? Today, I may think these things, but my mind could easily change tomorrow. But that's okay because I am always learning something new about the world and myself, every day.
noneil 2 / 4 1  
I think you did such a fantastic job. I'm applying to w&m myself, so I'm familiar with what they're looking for. They said they wanted to know what makes you unique and colorful- you did just this. Nice job juxtaposing yourself, with this assignment
the woman who held a key role in shaping the person I am today

the woman who played a key role in shaping my personality.

When my teacher assigned me this task, the task of choosing what animal, shape, or color represents the person I am, these were my answers, and in some ways, these statements are still true.

... for me, this sentence sounds a bit too long.... longer the sentence, more the reader has to put effort memorizing its details. I don't think he likes it :D

Wish to know your prompt to give a more relevant feed back!

Home / Undergraduate / My class teacher who palyed a key role in shaping my character; William & Mary