Why Columbia? -- Protests, Ahmadinejad....

jayelectrolosis 7 / 18  
Would anyone mind proofreading and critiquing my Why Columbia essay? I tried to take a unique, yet honest approach to it.

Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why.

In 1968, Columbia University found itself at the center of the social climate that characterized the late sixties with student protests aimed at the controversial Vietnam War, racial injustice, and mistreatment against the community by the University. Regardless of personal views, and although the consequences were not all positive, the protests demonstrate the spirit of the student body - of progress, of social consciousness, and independent thought.

Nearly forty years later, Columbia found itself at the center of societal controversy once more with the invitation of the polarizing Iranian President Ahmadinejad to speak. The invitation was controversial due to Ahmadinejad's radical and even illogical views. But once more, regardless of personal opinion on Ahmadinejad, the invitation serves to show Columbia's dedication to higher learning and freedom of speech. The invitation promoted dialogue and an open exchange of ideas with a figure that represents diametrically opposing views with the majority of the Columbia student body. To me, that is what higher learning and education is about.

These two events, separated by forty years, exemplify the unique appeal Columbia has over every other university. Columbia, supported by an intelligent, conscious student body, is more than a University; it's an institution of progress, discussion, and freedom of thought.
rpendyala 3 / 8  
i like the idea. but less about the events and more about you, and why you belong at a place like columbia would be good.
jujugo85 3 / 15  
love how the events are concrete reasons as to why you find Columbia appealing, as opposed to the generic "Columbia has a beuatiful campus and their exchange program ... etc." However, I agree with Ramya. Connect the events to you and how you are forward thinking and believe in independent thought and the doors it opens etc. Otherwise, it is well written!
OP jayelectrolosis 7 / 18  
Thank you! I do see how I spend too much time on the events, especially Ahmadinejad. I'll delete a sentence or two there and elaborate on myself.
easyfu 3 / 18  
but less about the events and more about you,

agree. They know their history but need to know u

Home / Undergraduate / Why Columbia? -- Protests, Ahmadinejad....