"Coming in at third place!" - significant experience

a3jr100blk 1 / 2  
Essay Prompt - Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

Have you ever done something that makes your palms get clammy, knees shake, make your speech incoherent, or turn your stomach? This always happens to me when I get on a stage in front of a large crowd. I always lose my sense of security. Every time it happens I can only hope that I don't do anything that will lead to embarrassment.

Despite my fear, during my sophomore year I found myself in a situation that placed me in the position that I hated truly. It was my award ceremony. There the principal would announce the top ten percent of the class and give trophies to those students. I did not believe that I would be one of the people that would get called, but with a little convincing from my parents (threats of numerous chores) I decided to go.

My school's auditorium was designed very nicely. I could see many of my friends and their families there. The food was pleasant (for the first time in a while). Then my principal went on stage to make a speech. I couldn't listen because I was too busy looking at the stage. I thought about the harm it was going to do to me if my name was called. I thought about the hundreds of people that were there. I did not want to leave my seat.

The principal went on with her speech. The next thing I can recall is her announcing the names of the top ten percent. They came up one by one. I looked at my mom and told her, "I'm not going to get called up there." She looked back and just smiled. Then it happened.

"Coming in at third place is Anthony Thomas!" I could not believe it. I got out of my seat and walked as far as my shaky knees would take me. I stopped and took a second to analyze the situation. I considered my fear to be an obstacle that I needed to overcome. It's okay to be scared about something but as long as you fight to get passed that fear, the end result will be very sweet. I walked on the stage and received my trophy.

I am relieved that I faced my fear. I cannot say that that experience has taken every single fear out of my life, but I can say that it was a very significant one that helps me face them. I used to look at these types of situations as things to avoid because I didn't believe that I could gain anything beneficial from them. Now I look at them as stepping stones that are leading me to becoming a better person. I am always facing my fears. I don't always overcome them, but I very proud to say that I always face them.
gganga 2 / 3  
Despite my fear, during my sophomore year I found myself in a situation that placed me in the position that I truly hated, my award ceremony .

For the first time in a while , the food was pleasant.

She simply looked back at me and smiled.

I considered my fear to be an obstacle that I needed to overcome. I realized that it's okay to be scared about something, but, as long as you fight to get past that fear, the end result will be very sweet.

but I can say that it was a very significant one that helps me face the obstacles and fears that remain or are yet to come .

Some of these are just minor suggestions, but otherwise, I think it's good essay! :D
Jessica Howard - / 1  
Despite your fear what i think what ever you were able to accomplish is quite encouraging. Keep taking more risks and surely this is going to be helping you in raising your level of confidence a lot. Well done keep your spirits high...
OP a3jr100blk 1 / 2  
Thanks you guys! I really appreciate your input :)

Home / Undergraduate / "Coming in at third place!" - significant experience