[COMMON APP] A CASUAL CONSULTING SECTION

hannah suitor 3 / 5 2  
Topic: Share any topic you like!
Please help me, what do you think of this?
---

As I sat across from my third customer of the day, little did I expect that this was my classmate, J. She looked at me with swollen eyes, recounting a fiery argument with her parents about eating her pet dog. Starting from a simple conversation, it gradually escalated into a larger quarrel, ending with her father's harsh words and both parties feeling helpless.

"Tra, you are so correct. Last time, you told me that I would have an argument with my parents. I thought you were kidding because I always try to avoid arguing with my parents. Yet, unexpectedly, we still argued this afternoon."

She, just like every customer of mine, never reached out to a traditional consulting agency. In a culture where others always ask to know more yet refuse to understand our stance, I've become a confidante for many of my friends. I have witnessed the vulnerability lying behind their seemingly humorous exteriors. They never want to be seen as a 'crazy' patient in a mental hospital, but the overwhelming feelings always make them feel unbearable, driving them into internal conflict.

It's really disheartening to see these souls burdened with'minor' struggles, crying out for understanding in a world that often neglects to listen. Thus, taking on the role of a tarot reader was not just a means to earn a livelihood; it became a medium through which I could provide a glimmer of hope for a better future for my customers.

For her case, advice like "initiate more communication with your parents to make them understand you better" from newspapers or training sessions at school was futile. The more she opened up to her parents, the more they argued. In Vietnamese families, parents often have authoritarian tendencies, making it challenging for the younger generation like us to share openly with them.

"Do you know? It's hard for an 18-year-old to compromise their ideals and truly empathize with their parents. But if you look at what made your parents suffer in the past-war, poverty, a society so devastated that even a pet dog died without being butchered was considered wasteful-it might help you understand their perspective and accept that you can't change him. Avoiding these arguments doesn't mean agreeing with them. You can empathize with people without agreeing with their actions. You must understand that your parents grew up in a conservative society that stigmatizes people with tattoos, but you don't have to agree with them. You certainly don't have to argue about whether having tattoos is right or wrong."

She nodded and said tearfully, "But I don't understand, Tra. Why do everyone else's parents always understand their children, and mine always impose like this? I spent my entire childhood fearing his violent tendencies. How can I free myself from this?"

"This is the same question I have." I looked at her tear-stained face and thought about my own family, as well as countless other families in Vietnam. "But J, there is a saying that 'Tolerance is better practiced at a distance.' If reconciliation is impossible, keep a healthy distance and seek out those who agree with your words. Separate conflicts with parents into two categories: "worth arguing" and "not worth arguing." Aside from crucial issues related to your future career, you can stop following these impractical articles on how to communicate with parents. Those books are not written in Vietnam or by Vietnamese children. You can come to me or those you trust; I believe there will always be someone willing to listen to you."

In my journey as a tarot reader, I've encountered numerous issues where most of my customers are aware of both current and future events, yet they often opt to evade the harsh realities. Ultimately, what they truly seek is not just foresight but a compassionate listener and someone who aligns with their perspectives.
This essay shows the reviewer that you have a high level of maturity when it comes to understanding your peers. I am not sure where Tarot cards comes into the picture though You presented it too late in the story. You should have developed it earlier in the essay. Placing it above or within the first paragraph introduction so that the reviewer would have a better idea of how and why your friends come to you and why you have clients who do not go to traditional agencies. What are these traditional agencies by the way? A little clarification on that point would also help. Overall though, this is an interesting topic to present for the open subject character discussion.

Home / Undergraduate / [COMMON APP] A CASUAL CONSULTING SECTION