Common App-The contagious influence of smiles

pawan_pai02 1 / -  
"What motivates you to move forward?"

I replied, "Smiles" with a bright smile on my face.

On a particularly rainy evening, as I lay on my bed contemplating the intriguing emotion known as happiness, I realized the profound power concealed within this seemingly simple word. Happiness is a universal motive that drives individuals in their pursuit of life's purpose. Despite the belief that each person's life mission is unique, I couldn't help but wonder if, at the core, we all share a common aspiration.

At the tender age of 15, I embarked on a quest to unravel the ultimate purpose of life. I turned to my parents, seeking insight into their life goals. Their response was simple yet profound, "We wish to witness the smiles on your and your brother's faces and safeguard your happiness throughout our lives." Persistently, I questioned if this was genuinely their deepest desire, and they reaffirmed that as long as they could see their children content, their lives would be filled with satisfaction.

In my pursuit of understanding life's ultimate purpose, I turned to my homeroom teacher, eager to hear her perspective. Her response was imbued with a sense of dedication, "I aim to guide my students to graduate with smiles on their faces, fostering lives free from regrets. My role as a teacher is to aid the younger generation in securing bright futures, and the smiles on their faces on graduation day represent my greatest achievement."

As my exploration continued, I found myself at the doorstep of one of my neighbours, an 18-year-old girl. Although I couldn't pinpoint the exact reason for my inquiry, she had been my go-to source for overcoming academic challenges since my early school days. Before offering her perspective, she inquired about my motivation. After sharing my journey, she revealed her aspiration to become an architect. Drawing had been her cherished hobby since she first held a pencil, and she aimed to design exquisite homes that would bring smiles to people's faces.

After soliciting insights from three individuals from diverse backgrounds and age groups, I finally arrived at a conclusion that put my restless mind at ease. We, humans, are inherently loving, compassionate, and driven beings, driven by the desire to witness the smiles of those around us. These smiles serve as the ultimate measure of achievement and fulfilment in our lives. Whether it's a teenager aspiring to be an architect, a teacher illuminating her students' path to success, or parents nurturing their children, the most profound source of happiness lies in genuine, heartfelt smiles.

What I have been able to conclude from this journey of mine is while people may appear different in terms of their lifestyles and perspectives, humanity, whether dwelling in the Himalayan mountains or a New York apartment, we all share a common aspiration: to find contentment in life choices. The surest way to validate this contentment for me has been through the smiles adorning the faces of those around me.

In a world often overshadowed by pessimism, fear of war, and despair, it is these radiant smiles that pierce through the darkness, illuminating society with hope and positivity. Hence, I have decided to do something for the community which has given so much to me. I have developed a dream to live for, a dream to do something for underprivileged and war-affected children by developing a platform connecting them with retired professionals all over the world. My vision is to provide them with opportunities to be educated and have a chance to build their life and achieve their dreams.
You have too many references for the Smile reference. Bring it down to 2 examples. Keep the perspective of your parents, then choose between your teacher or neighbor. You do not need to focus too much on the reasons they value smiles, you have to make sure that you develop your epxlanation as to why you want to bring a smile to people's faces. While you did mention that smiles pierce darkness, you did not explain why you want to bring a smile to these people's faces. You should expand on your reason in terms of your character development. Perhaps you want to view this as a selfless act of some sort? Whatever your reason, you have to make sure that the reviewer learns more about you through this essay.

Home / Undergraduate / Common App-The contagious influence of smiles