Common App Extracurricular - Forensics

Michael48304 8 / 31  
Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (150 words or fewer).

At my school, forensics (competitive public speaking) is not taken lightly. Competitors perform in categories ranging from sales to impromptu speaking. My category, multiple interpretation, involves eight competitors working together to perform a fifteen minute condensed version of a play or musical. The entire production is organized and executed by students, including cutting the script, arranging the music, and blocking the performance. Arduous daily rehearsals inevitably result in conflict. However, these predictable power struggles and petty feuds can teach the most important lessons. Working together, taking direction and learning to rein in one's opinion are incredibly useful skills. This spring, our multiple rendition of "Next to Normal" won the state championship. Holding that first place trophy instantly validated our efforts. As the summer draws to a close, the process begins again. Directing next year's multiple is a challenge I welcome. I am confident the experience will once again be extraordinary.

Let me know what you think. It is exactly 150 words as of now.
qpnguyen 2 / 5  
I think the last sentence where you say, "From this experience, I have learned..." is a bit too obvious. Maybe try to find a way to show what you've learned instead of just stating it.
At my school, forensics (competitive public speaking) is not taken lightly.

How is forensics related to competitive speaking? I don't get it.

Rehearsals are typically held for two hours daily, --- be careful with this part; it sounds like you start to take material from a description of the class. Some students use material from a brochure or website, etc.

About what I just said above... nevermind! Forget I said that. I had not finished reading the whole thing...

Okay, bottom line: this demonstrates good writing but lacks something. It is very informational. I don't really know what I am trying to say. It does not lack something, but it could use something more. What is the moral of the story? If you just subtly adjust one sentence, you can give this an excellent, memorable theme. The reader will turn to her colleague and say, "This essay is about competitive public speaking, but it is also about ________."

Home / Undergraduate / Common App Extracurricular - Forensics