"company's logo" - MIT Application Creativity Short Answer

mazumderj 2 / 7  
Tell us about a time you used your creativity. This could be something you made, a project that you led, an idea that you came up with, or pretty much anything else.

I've always thought a logo to be something spontaneous, an unconditional by-product that follows a company's inception and is taken for granted. This misconception changed, however, after taking a desktop publishing class in my sophomore year. One of our harder tasks was to remodel the logo of an existing company such that its qualities would be reflected to consumers more easily. Ironically, this was no easy task as I was assigned to work with a well-known aircraft maker having a very nondescript logo, one I had never seen.

My sail of imagination seemed to be stuck in the middle of a thick fog, with no wind of inspiration to get me out. I aimlessly drew one trite design after another - all of which were consistently rejected - when, perhaps out of desperation, something suddenly clicked.

As I was about to finish what then appeared to be another futile sketch, I found the fog surrounding my mind gradually clearing; the familiar elements that had constituted my early designs began to rearrange themselves into previously unimagined forms. In a sort of frenzy I began combining and rearranging letters, lines and shapes as ideas steadily poured out. By the time I snapped out of my creative trance, I had in front of me a logo which, in my brief stint as a creative designer, remains my proudest work.

Please offer any comments, feedback, or constructive criticism...it's still in its first draft, so I'm sure there's lots to work on. Thanks!
Kelsey1704 4 / 26  
Hi! I quite like it. Here are my suggestions; feel free to pick and choose which ones work best for you.

A company's logo had always seemed to me asbe a spontaneously generatedsimple by-product of a company - something that is automatically createdspontaneously generated as a new business springs up (other suggestions: "is born," "is built from the ground up," etc.) . That misconception changed, however, when I had to make one myself.I took a desktop publishing class sophomore year.

One of the projects for my desktop publishing class in sophomore yearOne of our more challenging projects was to improve on the logo of an existing company by reworking it altogether so that viewers could learn about the company and its qualities more easily -This was finean easy assignment , I thought, until I was assigned a well-known aircraft maker whose nondescript logo I had never seen beforebefore seen .

My sail of imagination seemed to be stuck in the middle of a thick fog, with no wind of inspiration to get me out. I aimlessly kept drawingdrewtrite design after trite design - all of which kept getting rejected were consistently rejected - when , perhaps out of desperation, something suddenly clicked.

As I was about to finish what then appeared to be another futile sketch, I found the fog surrounding my mind gradually clearing with land in sight ; the familiar elements that had constituted my early designs began to rearrange themselves into previously unimagined forms.

In a sort of frenzyExcited, I began to work on my latest design, combining and rearranging letters, lines and shapes as ideas steadily poured out. By the time I snapped out of my creative trance, I had in front of me a logo which, to this day, remains my proudest work from my brief stint in creative design. in my brief stint as a creative designer, remains my proudest work.

Again, you know your work better than I do, so ignore what you have to. But it's a nice essay, so good luck to you:) If you have a moment, I would appreciate your thoughts on my own essays.
lotm30923 1 / 25  
I really like it. You describe the conflict inherent in creative ventures well, very well. One thing, I think your introduction could use some clean-up, it's a bit muddled so I've included a possible route you can take....Best of luck to you. Admission in to MIT and the exultation that follows is in my mind the greatest thing one could possibly experience. I really hope you get in.

A company's logo always seemed to me as a spontaneously generated by-product of a company - something that is automatically created as a new business springs up. That misconception changed, however, when I had to make one myself. One of the projects for my desktop publishing class in sophomore year was to improve on the logo of an existing company by reworking it altogether so that viewers could learn about the company and its qualities easily.

This was fine, I thought, until I was assigned a well-known aircraft maker whose nondescript logo I had never seen before.

{I've always thought a logo to be something spontaneous, an unconditional by-product that succeeds a company's inception and is taken for granted. This misconception changed, however, after taking a desktop publishing class in my sophomore year. Our task was to reproduce the logo of an existing company such that it's qualities would be reflected to consumers more easily. Ironically, this was no easy task as we were assigned a well-known aircraft maker having a very nondescript logo, one I had never seen.}
OP mazumderj 2 / 7  
Thanks soooo much, both of you! I'll see how I can incorporate your advice into my revision and post it again.
Kelsey: Sure! I don't know how much I can offer, but let me take a look.
OP mazumderj 2 / 7  
Based on both your revisions, I modified my response. It's a lot more compact now.

READ ABOVE

How does this work?
lotm30923 1 / 25  
"In a sort of" {you could omit this}

letters, lines(,) and shapes as ideas steadily poured out.

Nice! the writing is tighter. One comment, since your essay is more compact, you could delve a little more in to the end results. You show the reader a lot, but the prompt also asks you to "tell" as well. What did this entire experience say about the relationship between a company, it's logo, and it's market, or more broadly, about the nature of the entrepreneurial spirit and creativity in general? Are the two related? If so, how? One can obviously see that it's a difficult process with the possibility of great personal rewards, but there must be more to it since creativity is so much an exclusively human enterprise! And how might you incorporate all this within the context of a MIT education?

Home / Undergraduate / "company's logo" - MIT Application Creativity Short Answer