UR supplement: what you'll contribute - 'utilize the research opportunities'

volleyball09 11 / 12  
Rochester students represent many different points of view. Each student constructs an independent study and research plan. Describe what you will contribute to Rochester's diversity of ideas, experiences, and identities. If you can, incorporate a positive past experience where you chose your own learning path, or a negative experience where you wanted to exercise more independence.

As a freshman in high school, I had the opportunity to conduct an extensive research project. Specifically, I was testing to see what types of bacteria are more resistant than others to the antibiotic ampicillin. The analytical skills required to initiate the project expanded my thought process, as I was asking new questions and developing new hypotheses. The most exciting part was the results, which led me to develop even more questions about the properties of certain bacteria that resisted ampicillin more than others. As a result of this project, I came to greatly value independent research. I found that research entails critical thinking and problem solving skills, and also helps the researcher to understand complex issues. With my inclination for scientific inquiry and great liking for independent research, I am confident that I will utilize the research opportunities at Rochester to their fullest potential.

please let me know if I should make any kind of change to this. thank you so much!
lasershot91 8 / 7  
I think that your third sentence is hard to understand, you should probably phrase it, "As I was asking new questions and developing new hypotheses, I developed analytical skills that expanded my though process." Other than that, I think your essay is well formed with proper analysis of your example.
You can take out the word "specifically," because it is unnecessary. Fewer words means more power.

I found that research entails critical thinking and problem solving skills, and also that it helps the researcher to understand complex issues. With my inclination for scientific inquiry and great appreciation for independent research, I am confident that I will utilize the research opportunities at Rochester to their fullest potential.

Home / Undergraduate / UR supplement: what you'll contribute - 'utilize the research opportunities'